Not on Mothers Day

unbaked pegga

Songster
9 Years
Nov 22, 2014
Lebanon TN
I have a 2 year old sex link hen. She’s always active and is a prolific egg layer although for me she is a pet. In the last week or so she just doesn’t seem well. She is hardly vocal at all but hasn’t separated herself from the flock and she is still eating and drinking. But her chest (not her crop) looks like it has shifted down to where it is almost between her legs. This makes her waddle like a penguin. Nothing is protruding from her vent, she does have some feather loss at her vent about the size of a silver dollar+ but all of my 4 chickens had nasty bottoms and I cleaned them up one day and I clipped some feathers around her vent because the poo was wouldn’t come off. But now this. It is worrying me to death. About 3 or 4 weeks ago I had to have her sister put down because her uterus (don’t know the correct name of it) came out of her vent. And I worked for hours trying to push it back in but it would pop right back out over and over again. I put sugar on it and preparation H but it wouldn’t stay in and I noticed about a 1/3 of it was turning dark purple and I knew that area had died and she could survive that so I had her put down and it still makes me sad. Now this with my other hen who incidentally has laid every single day except for one or two so she couldn’t be egg bound, is that right?

I recently read about the muscles in the crop being stretched making it sag. Some use a crop bra to help. Does that sound like what's going on?

Do you have a picture of your chicken and her crop? It sounds like a pendulous crop. That happens when the crop has become over stretched from over eating or from impacted or sour crop or a partial gizzard blockage. Crop bras may be helpful if placed in the right spot. But getting the crop to empty first may be helpful. Here are some articles about ways to treat:

https://www.backyardchickens.com/ar...w-to-know-which-one-youre-dealing-with.73607/

https://www.muranochickenfarm.com/2020/06/pendulous-crop-in-chickens.html

https://the-chicken-chick.com/pendulous-crop-in-backyard-chickens/

I have a 2 year old sex link hen. She’s always active and is a prolific egg layer although for me she is a pet. In the last week or so she just doesn’t seem well. She is hardly vocal at all but hasn’t separated herself from the flock and she is still eating and drinking. But her chest (not her crop) looks like it has shifted down to where it is almost between her legs. This makes her waddle like a penguin. Nothing is protruding from her vent, she does have some feather loss at her vent about the size of a silver dollar+ but all of my 4 chickens had nasty bottoms and I cleaned them up one day and I clipped some feathers around her vent because the poo was wouldn’t come off. But now this. It is worrying me to death. About 3 or 4 weeks ago I had to have her sister put down because her uterus (don’t know the correct name of it) came out of her vent. And I worked for hours trying to push it back in but it would pop right back out over and over again. I put sugar on it and preparation H but it wouldn’t stay in and I noticed about a 1/3 of it was turning dark purple and I knew that area had died and she could survive that so I had her put down and it still makes me sad. Now this with my other hen who incidentally has laid every single day except for one or two so she couldn’t be egg bound, is that right?
Hi Peggy:hugs

As others have mentioned, her crop may be pendulous, a photo would be helpful.

Do you have a picture of your chicken and her crop? It sounds like a pendulous crop. That happens when the crop has become over stretched from over eating or from impacted or sour crop or a partial gizzard blockage. Crop bras may be helpful if placed in the right spot. But getting the crop to empty first may be helpful. Here are some articles about ways to treat:

https://www.backyardchickens.com/ar...w-to-know-which-one-youre-dealing-with.73607/

https://www.muranochickenfarm.com/2020/06/pendulous-crop-in-chickens.html

https://the-chicken-chick.com/pendulous-crop-in-backyard-chickens/
I’m going to try and post a picture
3F546498-526E-416E-A66F-E2EBDC03A4CE.jpeg
of her

is it possible she has a reproductive illness? I lost a hen to an ovarian tumor last year, 3 year old cinnamon queen. she had the same symptoms. that with the sister having a reproductive issue it makes me wonder. with the common high production breeds, i think the heavy laying is really hard on their system.

have you tried checking inside her vent for an egg?

is it possible she has a reproductive illness? I lost a hen to an ovarian tumor last year, 3 year old cinnamon queen. she had the same symptoms. that with the sister having a reproductive issue it makes me wonder. with the common high production breeds, i think the heavy laying is really hard on their system.

Oh when I said her sister I just meant they both came together when I bought them. She’s been laying every day and I didn’t think that she would have an egg inside of her as well would she? She just moves slow it’s just worrisome. She is eating I just don’t understand what’s going on with her. I don’t want to lose her, I just don’t have any control over it❓

I just took this picture. That’s not the way she normally stands. And her breast part seems like it’s too far down. She’s flat in there for she didn’t used to be if that makes any sense

Attachments

• FAFB6A9D-6862-4789-93C4-F0672640B160.jpeg
    FAFB6A9D-6862-4789-93C4-F0672640B160.jpeg
    851 KB · Views: 4

Back
Top Bottom