Not on roost yet?

revmichael

In the Brooder
6 Years
Sep 3, 2013
My chicks are 8 weeks old this coming sunday. Not sure the breed but think they are mixed. Anyway momma, daddy and all 8 are sleeping together in the nest boxes. Yes both boxes are now being used. Mom with babies and daddy in another. He was in the box with all of them.

Roosting post is up above nesting box. Is there anything i should do to get them up there at night?

Yes, place them on the perch and block off the nest boxes.

The "parents" are lazy and should be teaching their youngsters to roost, but they like the close comfort of the nest boxes, a very bad habit to get into, let along teaching it to their children, I mean, chicks.

You can help them all get into the good habit of roosting by sticking them up there if they don't go up on their own. But if you've blocked the nests, the adults will probably roost, and the chicks will get the idea, too.

It worked, first night momma was on the roost with some of the babies. Dad was on the floor with a few babies as well.

Day 2 all babies with mom.....dad decided to roost on the floor, silly boy....he use to roost in a tree until the family all started going in the coop.

Back
Top Bottom