not right and smells a little foul- what do I do?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by mommy3, Nov 8, 2012.

1. mommy3

mommy3 Out Of The Brooder

Sep 19, 2011
    Plantsville, CT
    Today one of our eggs had blood on the outside. So I started inspecting chicken butts. This is what I found on one of my RIRs
    [​IMG]

Can anyone tell me what the two red bumps are?

2. aoxa

aoxa Overrun With Chickens

That there looks like vent gleet to me.

It's a yeast infection of sorts. Nu-stock is recommended to treat that. I am not sure of other ways.

Check out this thread and ask about it here.

3. casportpony

casportpony Team Tube Feeding Captain & Poop Inspector General Premium Member

Jun 24, 2012
    My Coop
  4. casportpony

casportpony Team Tube Feeding Captain & Poop Inspector General Premium Member

Jun 24, 2012
    My Coop
    Even if you can't see them, I would dust for mites/lice with a poultry dust, not DE.

5. mommy3

mommy3 Out Of The Brooder

Sep 19, 2011
    Plantsville, CT
    Thanks for the advice! I can only find the stuff you are talking about online. I did find another feed about using epsom salt- 1ounce water mixed with 1 tsp epsom and feed to her with a syringe. I am going to try that- it said so it two times in 12 or 24 hours. I will start with that and do a little searching to find out if I can get the other stuff anywhere locally. I am in CT and usually get stuff from Tractor Supply- could not find online the Nu-Stock. I am going to NY this weekend and might have some place there I can go- very much farm country where we have our camp. Once again, I love this site! I washed her butt up a litle and trimmed off the hardened gunk. I hope she is ok- thanks again!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by