Not so free-ranging.

Mushroomchef

Songster
Aug 16, 2019
Temple City, CA.
Hi all,

When I had my chickens in Northern California, I allowed my 4 hens to roam free in my backyard. For about 4 months, until a hawk swooped in and ate half of my white crested black polish. I came home from work devastated. Since then, I only let them out when I'm home from work. About 2 hours a day.

Then after moving back to Southern California, I've acquired more hens and a rooster. But because my neighbor feeds feral cats, I can't let my chickens out to roam at all. With the dew from the winter nights, grass has been growing everywhere. I've shoveled patches of grass in the coop for them to eat everyday.

My wife suggested to me to make a pvc pipe fence to let then roam and eat the grass. So in the days of looking into making one, she told me about this group on Facebook. "Buy nothing" in the city you're in, that her friend told her about. After a few days of getting accepted into this group, this posting shows up with two pvc pipe fencing that someone was getting rid of to protect gardens from animals. What a coincidence?! I contacted that person and picked it up the very same day.

Now my chickens get to semi-free range and I have a sense of security from those cats. My kids help me lift one side up while they open the gate for the chickens to go in. The first time, half of the chickens were hesitant to go in. The second time, most of them knew what was going on and went in. I had to go in and catch the rest to put them in. Hopefully they all learn to go in on their own within the next couple of weeks. When they get inside, my kids and I slowly move them to the spot I want them to help "mow the lawn." My kids don't realize that they are actually helping me now the lawn. 🤣

Comes to show that one persons trash is another persons treasure. I use it at night to protect my garden beds from raccoons digging it up. My wife calls those pvc pipe fence dual-purpose, not knowing that same term is used for chickens. I explained it to her. 🤣

Thank you for reading this long post. Maybe you can find some free stuff from Facebook for your chickens.

Attachments

• 15A8DF21-8BE3-41DE-A9B4-7727FFD30106.jpeg
    15A8DF21-8BE3-41DE-A9B4-7727FFD30106.jpeg
    783.5 KB · Views: 26
  • E6380BC0-2B03-495D-B381-4908BA48E993.jpeg
    E6380BC0-2B03-495D-B381-4908BA48E993.jpeg
    855.5 KB · Views: 24
  • F5226AFC-8722-4594-A089-B69EF133DEAD.jpeg
    F5226AFC-8722-4594-A089-B69EF133DEAD.jpeg
    819.9 KB · Views: 22
  • 94F98F76-90BB-4326-9296-E73D3073B179.png
    94F98F76-90BB-4326-9296-E73D3073B179.png
    3 MB · Views: 20
  • 05CA559E-973E-47D0-B35D-D19913446FB9.jpeg
    05CA559E-973E-47D0-B35D-D19913446FB9.jpeg
    733.9 KB · Views: 18
  • D06202DB-B8CA-453E-8ED7-C4114C9E9992.jpeg
    D06202DB-B8CA-453E-8ED7-C4114C9E9992.jpeg
    955.9 KB · Views: 16
  • 544C7FE8-9EA9-4045-ADFE-45272932996A.jpeg
    544C7FE8-9EA9-4045-ADFE-45272932996A.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 18
Hi all,

When I had my chickens in Northern California, I allowed my 4 hens to roam free in my backyard. For about 4 months, until a hawk swooped in and ate half of my white crested black polish. I came home from work devastated. Since then, I only let them out when I'm home from work. About 2 hours a day.

Then after moving back to Southern California, I've acquired more hens and a rooster. But because my neighbor feeds feral cats, I can't let my chickens out to roam at all. With the dew from the winter nights, grass has been growing everywhere. I've shoveled patches of grass in the coop for them to eat everyday.

My wife suggested to me to make a pvc pipe fence to let then roam and eat the grass. So in the days of looking into making one, she told me about this group on Facebook. "Buy nothing" in the city you're in, that her friend told her about. After a few days of getting accepted into this group, this posting shows up with two pvc pipe fencing that someone was getting rid of to protect gardens from animals. What a coincidence?! I contacted that person and picked it up the very same day.

Now my chickens get to semi-free range and I have a sense of security from those cats. My kids help me lift one side up while they open the gate for the chickens to go in. The first time, half of the chickens were hesitant to go in. The second time, most of them knew what was going on and went in. I had to go in and catch the rest to put them in. Hopefully they all learn to go in on their own within the next couple of weeks. When they get inside, my kids and I slowly move them to the spot I want them to help "mow the lawn." My kids don't realize that they are actually helping me now the lawn. 🤣

Comes to show that one persons trash is another persons treasure. I use it at night to protect my garden beds from raccoons digging it up. My wife calls those pvc pipe fence dual-purpose, not knowing that same term is used for chickens. I explained it to her. 🤣

Thank you for reading this long post. Maybe you can find some free stuff from Facebook for your chickens.
That's fantastic!!!! What a great way to compromise! I'm assuming the fences are bound with something secure. Not trying to make you as paranoid as I am, but a diving hawk can go through many types of netting. It's not happened to me, but I've seen stories on here. Someone had pics of an owl go through bird netting!
:oops:

That's fantastic!!!! What a great way to compromise! I'm assuming the fences are bound with something secure. Not trying to make you as paranoid as I am, but a diving hawk can go through many types of netting. It's not happened to me, but I've seen stories on here. Someone had pics of an owl go through bird netting!
:oops:
Yes. It is zip tied. Also the holes are too small for a hawk to fly through. And I only let them out right before evening when my kids and I are outside playing. So we keep an eye on them. Thanks for looking out.

Hi, pvc pipe chicken tractors are awesome things!
Yes, tell your wife they're called tractors even though it makes zero sense.
I have one, much taller though 5ft so my baby chicks can graze and flap about.
I have a tarp covering half the top and half one side for shade and a comfort level for the birds.
Do know hawks love, love, LOVE to sit on top of and hop around the sides of tractors.
Obviously this is terrifying, so you might want to half cover your tops.:)

Back
Top Bottom