not so good at hatching :(

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by sheps4her, Dec 24, 2010.

1. sheps4her

sheps4her Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 10, 2008
    Guilford County, NC
    This is my second hatch attempt with my LG incubator. The first time Out of 14 eggs, 3 hatched...two with problems that died shortly after and one that is now 6 weeks old. I tried another set of 12 eggs, and so far I have two healthy chicks but it is now day 23 and no other signs of hatching. I added a fan and a turner on my second go around, and was hoping for better results. Both sets of eggs were shipped from two different sources. Its just so disappointing [​IMG] . What could be going wrong? I never had these issues when I had my homemade incubator (no longer have). Maybe I ought to just make another?? [​IMG] I thought I was "upgrading." [​IMG]

2. gryeyes

gryeyes Covered in Pet Hair & Feathers

I don't want to hurt anyone's feelings, but LG incubators are not an upgrade - they are well-known for being low end units and problematic.

So it's not YOU at all.

3. debilorrah

debilorrah The Great Guru of Yap Premium Member

I agree - LG's ARE problematic. Go back to your homemade or get a Brinsea, Hovabator, R-com, etc. One of the better models and they really don't cost all THAT much.

4. 1-duckling

1-duckling Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 1, 2009
    Washington
    Also, shipped eggs tend not to have the greatest hatch rate due to all the conditions they go through on the route. I never bet on better than 50% with shipped eggs and celebrate if it is better. I started out with an LG and had great success on fresh from the nest but not on shipped eggs. Sorry to hear about your disappointing hatches.

5. IdealisticRoo

IdealisticRoo Chicken Tender

Oct 18, 2010
    Colorado!
    Quote:Ouch, sorry to hear that!

I am having the same problem, but with my homemade incubator! I have 2 eggs out of 62, that are now locked down in a hovabator, because my homemade bator cannot keep the humidity stable and above 40%! They are due to hatch today and still no movement or pips!

Incubating is stressful! Since several hatcheries hatch year round, I am tempted to just throw in the towel and just order more chicks. The ONLY reason I incubate is to get rare and unusual breeds, which means the eggs cost more and have to be shipped!

So far my hatching attempts have cost me more than $500, including eggs, parts, incubators and much more! [​IMG]

6. BigDaddy'sGurl

BigDaddy'sGurl Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 14, 2010
    Wilkesboro NC
    I agree that SOME LG's are problematic, but I have one and the only true issue I've had is humidity. Next time, try the "dry hatch" method...I tried it the last two times I've hatched and had 70% or greater success! Don't beat yourself up: we all go through bad hatches. Another thing is check your thermometer and be sure it is accurate. I use one that shows the temp in the bator is around 103 but I know from experience that it is off by 3.5-4 degrees on the high reading side (if it reads 103 it is actually around 99) and so I use it just know it is reading high. Once you have a thermometer you can trust completely and good humidity you should b e set!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by