Not super urgent, but one of my hens seems off

sunshinesnuggles

In the Brooder
Apr 9, 2024
NW Washington
I noticed a few minutes ago that my EE hen is acting a bit odd. She turns four in two months. She is moving almost in slow motion and not showing much interest in foraging or scratching even though I just let them out of the run. She perked up when I gave them some mealworms, but soon reverted back to what she's doing now. I thought a minute ago that her clucks almost sounded gurgly, but I just picked her up and she sounded normal. My other two are acting normal, I did see one of them sneeze once yesterday but other than that they're all good. I don't know if she's eating or drinking, I just came outside. She hasn't laid in months, she's generally not the best layer. She's never gone broody. As I write this, she just laid down - not dramatically, just settled down like she's sitting on an egg.
This is my fault, I have two chicks inside and like an idiot forgot to wash my hands in between handling them once yesterday. I've seen the chicks sneeze a bit but they're very lively and are otherwise doing just fine.

Update: Gave her some egg yolks which she ate and after a bit she drank. I waited out there for 40 more minutes to see her poop lol, so here's that picture:
1000001142.jpg

Pretty runny, but some poop is just like that to my understanding...? I then picked her up and put her on a roost in the run to see what she would do, and she hopped over to the other one that's the same height, paced around a bit, but hasn't jumped down, which is a bit strange for her. She seems to be getting sleepy now, I'm going to get her down from the perch so she doesn't get stuck or injure herself.

Back
Top Bottom