Not sure about chick development

ljames

Hatching
May 21, 2015
I have 6 chicks This is our first time raising chickens and we got the chicks about a week ago. I read all about chicks and chickens. I spoke to the local poultry person at the farm store where we got the chicks as well. We are in the process of building a coop and I was assured I had at least 6 weeks before the chicks were ready to go out. I'm not sure that's true. They've nearly doubled in size, are increasingly "feathered" and are looking to perch. We had to switch brooder setups because they were escaping. I'm not sure what to do with them while we finish their coop!?! Obviously I was mistaken to believe I had time to build the coop but as I can't change that, does anyone have any suggestions?

Mine doubled in size it seemed overnight. Mine are 6 wks old and fully feathered. I am keeping them in 2 more weeks. Need to finish the coop. I got a big box from work and set it up in the garage. It probably 4x5 feet. About 2 and a half foot tall. I built a perch from 2x4 it's about a foot up. And covered the top of the box with chicken wire. You might be able to use some thin plywood and build a larger brooder or search around for a second hand pack and play even. That was my second brooder until they outgrew it...

Back
Top Bottom