1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

not sure but think 1 of my eggs quit

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by monita, Oct 10, 2009.

1. monita

monita Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 6, 2009
    Shelbyville, Tennessee
    i am not sure but i think one of my eggs quit. i have 6 eggs left in my incubator out of 11 and they have been through alot already with the mom abandoning her nest and then being put in a home made incubator with who knows what temps and humidity rates now they are in a real incubator and my temps and humidity have been stable at 100F and 55% . all of the eggs have very obvious activity inside except one which i can see the baby inside but it doesn't move. it just kinda floats. no matter how i roll the egg the baby goes to the top of the egg. did the baby die? should i toss the egg?[​IMG]

2. iamcuriositycat

iamcuriositycat Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 30, 2009
    Charlotte, NC
    Sounds dead to me. I have heard that if the baby is floating, it's a goner. BUT I am no expert, so don't throw it away on my account. What day are they on?

3. monita

monita Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 6, 2009
    Shelbyville, Tennessee
    they are on day 12... i think it is dead too but want to be sure before i toss it.

4. iamcuriositycat

iamcuriositycat Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 30, 2009
    Charlotte, NC
    I would give it a few days more, and then check. After a few days, living chicks will show obvious development, and at that point you'll be able to tell if this one is continuing to develop or not by comparing it to the others. If not, you can feel good about tossing it. I have generally found my instincts to be pretty good on this, but I always give them an extra few days even when I think they've quit. They won't explode in just a few days. [​IMG] Good luck!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by