Not sure how much dewormer to feed my chickens

trentoldenburg

Chirping
5 Years
Oct 12, 2017
I'm looking to give my chickens dewormer, I was at TSC and they told me that Durafend 0.5% pellets will work. On the back they have dosages for turkeys, but not chickens. Is it safe to feed them dosages for turkeys? Or do I have to cut it down? If so, how much? My math works out like this: mix 1 lb of Durafend to 313 lbs of feed. My feeder holds about 7 lbs of feed. 7 lbs / 313 lbs = 0.022 lbs., Then 0.022 lbs. x 16 oz = 0.358 oz

Looks like the wormer used in those pellets is fendenbazole, which is also the ingredient in Safeguard for goats. I'd actually go ahead and get the Safeguard and dose them with that instead. The reason being, with the pellets, you can't be sure that each bird is getting the correct dose with the pellets. For one, they will all weigh a different amount, so the proper dosage for each bird will be a little different. Also, you can't be sure that each bird eats the correct amount of pellets. Some might eat more pellets than others, and some might not eat enough pellets to get the correct dose.

With Safeguard, you can just draw the proper amount up into a syringe, and then at night go down the roost and dose each bird.

Looks like the wormer used in those pellets is fendenbazole, which is also the ingredient in Safeguard for goats. I'd actually go ahead and get the Safeguard and dose them with that instead. The reason being, with the pellets, you can't be sure that each bird is getting the correct dose with the pellets. For one, they will all weigh a different amount, so the proper dosage for each bird will be a little different. Also, you can't be sure that each bird eats the correct amount of pellets. Some might eat more pellets than others, and some might not eat enough pellets to get the correct dose.

With Safeguard, you can just draw the proper amount up into a syringe, and then at night go down the roost and dose each bird.
Okay, thank you

Back
Top Bottom