Not sure if broody or egg bound

luvh3ns

In the Brooder
5 Years
Jul 17, 2014
Not sure if my hen is broody or egg bound. She hasn't laid for two days now, and the last time she laid, she laid an egg with a weird shell - it felt normal, but when I tapped it, it sounded metallic.

She was sitting most of the day in the coop with her tail very high up. When I looked at her lil butt hole, it was throbbing, almost like it was breathing in and out. Wondered if this is normal or if this is her straining?

I tried to feel inside her vent for an egg, but I haven't felt anything, but I also didn't go that deep/am not sure if I am doing it right. She's a very petite silkie bantam, so I didn't want to rip her a new one with my finger.

I brought her into the air-conditioned kitchen for about a half hour, and she walked around, drank a little water, and ate a little food. She ate some tomato willingly, but I could not get her to eat the rest of the fish, which I had given her some of (and she was very excited for) three days ago (which I am wondering if caused the weird egg and that's why she refused it?).

She's in the tub right now soaking with epsom salts. I'm still a little panicked though. She's my favorite bird - what do you guys think? Thanks!

That does seem like she was straining. Can she poop? I haven't had much experience but give her some vitamins as they will help muscle contraction.

Since I put her in the bath, it looked like she pooped a little, but no major bowel movements.

Do you think it could be a prolapse? I don't see any red/pink (her outside skin is black), but the top half of her ******** looks sort of fat/swollen

Would you be able to a picture? You would definitely be able to see a difference if a prolapse were to happen.

Think she is just broody. She hasn't died yet! Thanks for your help!

Back
Top Bottom