Not sure if Hen is broody? HELP ANY ADVICE IS WELCOME!!!šŸ˜Š

they are all separated and everything updates is all post egg candling pic tonight for the 1st and 2nd dozen of eggs

I have a 10 month old leghorn that suddenly went broody I think.. pic of hopefully soon to be mama below
She wonā€™t leave the nest, is super puffed out but also flattened down if that makes sense? And I had fake eggs under her since yesterday. She stayed on them all day and night so I moved her today into her own enclosure with fertile eggs and she hasnā€™t left besides to eat n drink 2 times. But The thing is this hen normally hates me ( love hate relationship.. she knows Iā€™m where food comes from) she isnā€™t making any noises or hisses like Iā€™m told broody hens often make? She also isnā€™t very protective of them ( I donā€™t think sheā€™s protective because I was able to take all the fake eggs and switch with real) without a single peck or protest? She kinda just sits there? Is she broody and understands im trying to help or could she just be in a mood and isnā€™t truest broody? Also this will be here first time hatching as well as mine with a broody? Any advice, tips, tricks I should be aware of? View attachment 3127984
She is broody, not all hens will peck and growl at you. None of mine did. My very often broody hen was a blue wyandotte whoā€™s closest ā€œpeckā€ at me was putting her beak gently on my hand. She fluffed up and all, but was always quiet.

I have a 10 month old leghorn that suddenly went broody I think.. pic of hopefully soon to be mama below
She wonā€™t leave the nest, is super puffed out but also flattened down if that makes sense? And I had fake eggs under her since yesterday. She stayed on them all day and night so I moved her today into her own enclosure with fertile eggs and she hasnā€™t left besides to eat n drink 2 times. But The thing is this hen normally hates me ( love hate relationship.. she knows Iā€™m where food comes from) she isnā€™t making any noises or hisses like Iā€™m told broody hens often make? She also isnā€™t very protective of them ( I donā€™t think sheā€™s protective because I was able to take all the fake eggs and switch with real) without a single peck or protest? She kinda just sits there? Is she broody and understands im trying to help or could she just be in a mood and isnā€™t truest broody? Also this will be here first time hatching as well as mine with a broody? Any advice, tips, tricks I should be aware of? View attachment 3127984
Sounds like you have a good momma if that what you want. Definitely broody when they wonā€™t leave the nest.

I have a lavender Orpington that has gone broody twice and both times I put her in a cage inside the coop and after 2-3 days I let her out and she stopped being broody.

I was told leghorn are very uncommon to go broody as well so I was so confusedšŸ˜‚ is there anything I need to make sure I do besides food and water constantly, I currently put her on chick starter as of today as well for the extra nutrients. Should I keep her separated and when and how do I move them back? This is a first for both me and Foghorn ( the mama from above)
I would only put 4 - 6 eggs under her in case she quits. Also, if you have an incubator, you can put the eggs in that if she decides she's done. Make sure you see her get off the nest at least once a day. She may be off the nest for up to 30 minutes if it's hot where you live. Keep her where she can see and be seen by the other chickens. Let her choose when to rejoin the flock - usually 2 or 3 days after hatch. Make sure your run is very secure - chicks can slip through chicken wire when they are first hatched. I go around the whole run with hardware cloth about 8-10 inches high. Good luck! A good broody is worth her weight in gold!! By the way, I may be biased, I have never used an incubator, have always been around chickens and I'm older than dirt! :old

I would only put 4 - 6 eggs under her in case she quits. Also, if you have an incubator, you can put the eggs in that if she decides she's done. Make sure you see her get off the nest at least once a day. She may be off the nest for up to 30 minutes if it's hot where you live. Keep her where she can see and be seen by the other chickens. Let her choose when to rejoin the flock - usually 2 or 3 days after hatch. Make sure your run is very secure - chicks can slip through chicken wire when they are first hatched. I go around the whole run with hardware cloth about 8-10 inches high. Good luck! A good broody is worth her weight in gold!! By the way, I may be biased, I have never used an incubator, have always been around chickens and I'm older than dirt! :old
Her eggs are due to hatch today is day 21 ā¤ļø Iā€™ll post an update if anything happens lol

You are literally going through the 7 same thing as I did. I have a coop with 3 Cochin Bantams. So of course one went broody, and I gave her eggs, then another went broody, and I gave her eggs, then the third went broody and I gave her eggs. Well, I left them all in the same coop. So when the first broody hens eggs hatched, only 1 chick, the second hen who was in the box right beside her pecked it. In the head. When I got home the hen was pecking his head, he was scalped and gnat covered, and his mom was doing nothing. So definitely separate. Lesson learned.
So day 21 came around and so far two absurd have hatched she has been keeping them tucked under her really close but a little peek so far

Attachments

• 170E63EF-E197-4ECB-BF6D-6E59CD13AF2E.jpeg
    170E63EF-E197-4ECB-BF6D-6E59CD13AF2E.jpeg
    435.4 KB · Views: 1
  • FFE92803-62E4-4428-9C02-C50292ED28EE.jpeg
    FFE92803-62E4-4428-9C02-C50292ED28EE.jpeg
    611.7 KB · Views: 2
  • 4DD146C3-5F6C-4A60-979E-6627F0138D91.jpeg
    4DD146C3-5F6C-4A60-979E-6627F0138D91.jpeg
    637.1 KB · Views: 2
  • 6D328766-9422-4924-902C-5ED7868177B6.jpeg
    6D328766-9422-4924-902C-5ED7868177B6.jpeg
    301.9 KB · Views: 2
Welcome to the world little ones!
4 out of 6
Of the 2 that didnā€™t hatch I opened and they hadnā€™t fully developed stopped at abt day 18 it looks
Names for the babies below
LIL PEEP is dark brown with striped face sheā€™s a cream legbar
HADES black silkie chick with white wings and chest
ELVIS lavender Orpington all silver besides yellow chest
CASPER white silkie with feathered legs and black spots almost Dalmatian like on head and back
A35866A1-5E03-4231-AA66-71FF7B612E9C.jpeg
1EF556C5-8C29-49D5-AC08-CF78B8F4DA7B.jpeg
3625B9AA-2CD1-4F6A-86EF-5AA2BFDFA6A3.jpeg

Back
Top Bottom