not sure if I should be worried yet or not...lethargic pullet

LaSombra

Songster
10 Years
May 28, 2009
Washington
I was out visiting my flock this afternoon and noticed one of my Americauna pullets (19 wks old) is acting very lethargic. She appeared to be falling asleep while standing up and took a nap on the ground while everyone else was up around and active. Maybe I'm jumping to conclusions already, will check on her when I get back from work later and see if she's still acting that way.

I haven't noticed anything else out of the ordinary. She was eating a little but was even looking like she wanted to fall asleep while doing that.

She's my least friendly girl since I got her as an older pullet so it's hard to catch her and check on her, but from a few feet away, she doesn't look injured.

What should I be looking out for?

Thanks for any help and insight to this. Now, I'm off to work, will check back when I'm home
smile.png

I had a hen with the same symptoms and opted to "keep and eye on her" and she died 2 days later.
I would bring her in, keep her warm, put her in a dog crate if you have one...or a box with some clean bedding or clean towels (rags). Make sure she's drinking and eating. Try giving her some special treats, like yogurt or wet crumbles.
Keep us posted.

I have a 1 year old doing the same exact thing. Her eyes are only open half way and she doesn't look alert at all. I'm not sure if she is eating or not since we have 8 chickens total.

racefanz...I would bring your pullet in too. Try and get her interested in food and water. Sometimes a little TLC will give them a boost. The hen I lost got listless last spring and I brought her in and nursed her for a day and she bounced right back...I messed up not doing that this time around. I am really regretting it, she was a sweet hen.
I have a dog crate that I put clean towels in the bottom for cushion, with paper towels on top of that so it can be cleaned easier. Also, you can monitor their poop better. Electrolytes, tasty food, warmth...get them to eat and drink and that's half the battle.

nif~I am trying to figure out what to put her in. She is a lil over a year old, but she is big. I posted something as a main topic in this same section with pictures if you would like to check the entire posting out. Her comb is very flopped over and has lost much of the redness that it is usually. I hope to get a housing arrangement figured out tomorrow so that she can be by herself.

Back
Top Bottom