Not sure if I should clean eggs...

I run mine quickly under hot water to knock off any debris and wipe dry. It makes me feel good.
wink.png

Last year I never washed my eggs. If they were dirty, I would wipe them with a dry cloth.

I was SURE that I had read somewhere on this forum that you should wash your eggs, so I have been doing so for the past couple of weeks. I've always kept my eggs in the fridge, too.

I have no intention of keeping the eggs for very long, especially when I am getting 19 per day!

I've noticed that some of my eggs have 'spots' on them, and once I started washing them, I realized it was blood spots that did come off in the water. Should these eggs be washed?

If you're thoroughly cooking your eggs, it really doesn't matter. Some folks suggest sandpaper for the really tough spots rather than water, since water may pull germs through the shell but sandpaper just takes them off (unless you manage to sand through the shell!)

Just for the record -- we don't wash before storage, and we only wipe down before use. Truly dirty eggs are only used for purposes where they'll have the snot cooked out of them.

I check the eggs right after I collect them--getting about 30 a day--for dirt/poop/blood. Those that have it are washed under just enough warm water to get it off using a vegetable brush we keep for that purpose put on a paper towel to dry, then boxed and put in the refrig. The clean ones are just boxed and allowed to sit on the counter until there get to be too many of them that they are in the way. I also label each box (dozen) using one of those narrow Posted Notes with the date collected and, if unwashed, note that. However, we routinely wash any egg before using(including store-bought)--our eggs seem especially hard to crack and there is always the chance of shell falling into whatever we're making. This is a recommendation I make to anyone buying them from us as well, whether they were washed or not.

Quote:
eggs should be washed for your own use and for those you give or sell to others.

Why?

the why:
eggs come thru the same track that chicken poop comes thru...it is not a sterile tract...you can have bacteria on the egg shell...if the outer shell is touched by you or others or if it comes in contact with the egg contents when cooking then there is the potential for infection. it is also a rule by state fda that they be washed. the bloom comes thru this same contaminated track.

Quote:
Actually that isn't true--the egg will not be contaminated from passing through the oviduct unless the bloom is washed away--handling it once it dries won't do that. If the egg is infected it will happen before the shell is applied--salmonella--not after. The US of A is about the only place were commercial egg producers are required to wash their product before sale--most other countries do not (and have no problems). I would guess it is because 1) most commercial farms are not the cleanest places on earth and 2) US citizens tend to be germophobic. In truth an egg will store longer and without refrigeration if it is left unwash. That being said, I suggest anyone wash an egg before using it for the simple reason that the shell may have picked up bacteria in it's journey from nest to pan and shell pieces have a way of falling in. I suggest that, I don't always do it. We also routinely wash dirty eggs here for the simple reason that the one who-must-be-obeyed says she doesn't want any chicken s%#t in her refrigerator.

I believe in the process of cleaning that egg you are distroying the natural antibacterial system developed over millions of years. I just don't get it you want a natural product but than you "sanitize" the natural protection right out of it; thinking that it is "cleaner" but you have broken the seal and are allowing microbes a way in.

I don't wash my eggs or the eggs I sell. I let my buyers know that I don't wash them and let them decide for themselves. I rarely have poo on them and if I do I put it in the dogs dish. I have enough and I'm lazy
tongue.png

I don't wash mine until just before I use them and then only if they are truly gross. I tell my customers that the eggs aren't washed and most customers prefer unwashed eggs. I used shredded paper to line nest boxes and then it goes in the garbage afterwards. It was the only useful thing I could figure out to do with junk mail and old bills.

Back
Top Bottom