Not sure if it was poultry lice

Sevin dust used to be ok for birds but then it was banned. I have used it. I do believe it had an egg withdrawal period. Permethrin does not. Both must be reapplied because if there are any pest eggs it does not kill the pests eggs.

Get some Frontline in the bottle. Best you can get, spray once at vent and under each wing. Once you use this you’ll never be without it. I’ve tried everything as well as permethrin and they all worked for 2 weeks and then they would be reinfested. Now understand I never have a lice or mite problem as I live in the desert and I think that helps as there’s not a lot of vegetation, but I had gotten some outside birds that were infested with northern fowl mites. It’s pricey but well worth it. There’s also a product called Flee wich is same thing but cheaper. I wound up getting rid of those chickens.

Last edited:
I've also heard about seven dust. If I can use this how would I use it?
I actually tested the sevin dust a week ago. I dusted birds with it using a salt shaker. Back of necks, under wings and vent area. Also dusted their favorite dust holes too! Now everyone did exceptionally well, no reaction. Except for one of my seabright hens. She had a bad reaction, probably because she jerked her head while doing her neck area and it went all over her face. The next morning she was lethargic acting. Just sat in the corner and couldn't keep her head up, I gave her electrolytes, and hand fed her some scrapes from dinner and the next day, I thought I may find her dead. But she actually improved. She is perfectly fine now. But I won't use 7 on her anymore. Just because of the bad reaction she had. But I dont have lice now. I plan on treating everyone again today for second dose. Except Tina she will be skipped except for her dustbath area.

Get some Frontline in the bottle. Best you can get, spray once at vent and under each wing. Once you use this you’ll never be without it. I’ve tried everything as well as permethrin and they all worked for 2 weeks and then they would be reinfested. Now understand I never have a lice or mite problem as I live in the desert and I think that helps as there’s not a lot of vegetation, but I had gotten some outside birds that were infested with northern fowl mites. It’s pricey but well worth it. There’s also a product called Flee wich is same thing but cheaper. I wound up getting rid of those chickens.

I use frontline on my dog...lol...never knew there's some for chickens...will look for it and see if I like it...ty

I actually tested the sevin dust a week ago. I dusted birds with it using a salt shaker. Back of necks, under wings and vent area. Also dusted their favorite dust holes too! Now everyone did exceptionally well, no reaction. Except for one of my seabright hens. She had a bad reaction, probably because she jerked her head while doing her neck area and it went all over her face. The next morning she was lethargic acting. Just sat in the corner and couldn't keep her head up, I gave her electrolytes, and hand fed her some scrapes from dinner and the next day, I thought I may find her dead. But she actually improved. She is perfectly fine now. But I won't use 7 on her anymore. Just because of the bad reaction she had. But I dont have lice now. I plan on treating everyone again today for second dose. Except Tina she will be skipped except for her dustbath area.

Will def take that advice then. Aww glad she's better

I was trying to work solo, and she is a jumpy little thing. I think, if she didn't get it all over the places I was trying to avoid. I think she would of been fine.

I've seen pics of mites and they this dark red color. Nope wasnt that. This was a longer light brown insect. Mites also rounder I think. Will check them to tonight.
I'm following this. I have noticed two of my birds are itchy and have some kind of pest living on them. I'm also a new chicken mom. It's the white leghorn pullet about 12 weeks old seems to be bothered the most. I set up a chicken bath in an old tire with dirt, play sand, wood ash (burned wood myself) and food grade DE. Seems from what others are saying, that's not going to solve the problem and I will have to purchase some kind of spray or powder to treat them. The bugs I see on the white bird are like you said, long and brown and fast...definitely visible to the eye. Like a knat, but crawling in the feathers.

I'm following this. I have noticed two of my birds are itchy and have some kind of pest living on them. I'm also a new chicken mom. It's the white leghorn pullet about 12 weeks old seems to be bothered the most. I set up a chicken bath in an old tire with dirt, play sand, wood ash (burned wood myself) and food grade DE. Seems from what others are saying, that's not going to solve the problem and I will have to purchase some kind of spray or powder to treat them. The bugs I see on the white bird are like you said, long and brown and fast...definitely visible to the eye. Like a knat, but crawling in the feathers.

Someone recommended the flea chicken dusting that has permethrin, so I got that...also got the stuff used on dogs but also read Adam's flea spray for puppies (couldnt find for puppies so got for all, puppy, adults and cats and kittens)works the same so got that....will use Adam's by doing what they said to do, to use cotton swab and rub on vent and under wings....will do that tonight....they said the puppy Adam's you can just spray on their skin but I will just do cotton swab for now to see how they handle it...I also bought a natural flea repellent for human homes like on couches to spray in coop....if it's safe for ppls couches and linnend and natural why not....i.just sprayed the coop and I do smell the peppermint...sprayed run 2...I willdo Adam's and if after a few weeks I continue seeing these insects will try the powder that has permethrin

I did read a lady tried what you did and she said it worked. So the wood ash you get from wood your burned right?

Back
Top Bottom