Not sure if it was poultry lice

wendy2012

Chirping
Apr 20, 2020
So this morning while cleaning chicken coop I noticed 2 small light brown insects on their poo tray. It didn't jump like a dog flea. It did look similar to lice. I rubbed under their wings with DE and sprinkled their run with DE as well. I rubbed garlic inside their coop too where they sleep. Will be spraying garlic juice in there too. If in case it is chicken lice I've been reading wood ash is good. Is wood ash from burned wood? Where do I get that? By the way I have given them Ivermectin about a month ago. Read lice feel nothing with that so won't help if it's lice on them. I found two but the way. Should I mix DE and wood ash (let me know how to get wood ash if it's from burned wood I got a lot) to mix with sand and make them a sand bath? any other things I should try?....I'm a new chicken mom and this is the 1st time in 4 months I have seen any creepy crawlies in their poo tray. I had a wood coop before and never seen any in there during my daily cleaning. I did make their pen longer so the new plastic coop on new lawn. Maybe that part if my lawn had some chicken lice. Thanks!

Poultry/bird lice live only on birds.

Check around the vent at the base of feather shafts. If they have lice, there will most likely be eggs deposited there. If you find any, report back here and I'll walk you through what to do.

Please don't bother wasting your time with garlic juice🙄 or DE... Neither one are going to do a thing for lice.

Invest in a bottle of Permethrin.
https://www.tractorsupply.com/tsc/product/martins-horse-stable-permethrin-citronella-spray-1-qt
Screenshot_20200722-083218.png

I agree DE and garlic are useless. I tried many different things when I had my first bout with mites and still had mites. I use permethrin. The bonus is there is no egg withdrawal period.
If you have a TSC they carry the permethrin dust, premixed spray bottles and the concentrate.
GordonPoultryDust.jpg PermethrinSprayB.jpg PermethrinSpraySm.jpg

Sevin dust used to be ok for birds but then it was banned. I have used it. I do believe it had an egg withdrawal period. Permethrin does not. Both must be reapplied because if there are any pest eggs it does not kill the pests eggs.

Back
Top Bottom