Not sure if it was poultry lice

Red poultry mites are actually a light grey in color before they feed. Once they've fed and they're full of blood they turn red.

Common sense will tell you that aart, if you don’t like my advice fine but don’t make a big deal over it. I’ve had chickens 37 yrs and I’m 57 yrs old so I just try and pass my knowledge and experiences for others

Many do NOT know......and most here are raising egg layers.
I know that, I raise rare breeds And they only lay in season. I love all breeds of poultry and I’ve dedicated my life to the preservation of my breed of choice. Tell me if you don’t mind what breeds do you have and how long have you had chickens, thanks😀

There are many chicken keepers that recommend the use of Frontline or other products that are used in cats and dogs to kill fleas and ticks. They work very well even on chickens. In my opinion from what I have researched, it seems best to rely on other products that are safe to use on livestock. Frontline (Fipronil) is highly toxic to bees, termites, rabbits, aquatic life, insects and birds, turkey, grouse, pheasants, quail and chickens. Fipronil ends up in eggs, meat and poultry fat. The USDA has limits as to how much can be detected in the poultry products that feed the world.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2017_Fipronil_eggs_contamination
I agree that’s why I only used it for birds that came from elsewhere it does the trick and I’ve never had a reinfestation. Let’s face it all the man made products have side effects. You can go all natural but you’ll still have issues. One thing that will help with lice is dipping them in Dawn dish liquid getting them completely sumbmerged and saturated down to the skin.

Get some Frontline in the bottle. Best you can get, spray once at vent and under each wing. Once you use this you’ll never be without it. I’ve tried everything as well as permethrin and they all worked for 2 weeks and then they would be reinfested. Now understand I never have a lice or mite problem as I live in the desert and I think that helps as there’s not a lot of vegetation, but I had gotten some outside birds that were infested with northern fowl mites. It’s pricey but well worth it. There’s also a product called Flee wich is same thing but cheaper. I wound up getting rid of those chickens.

I use frontline on my dog...lol...never knew there's some for chickens...will look for it and see if I like it...ty

I actually tested the sevin dust a week ago. I dusted birds with it using a salt shaker. Back of necks, under wings and vent area. Also dusted their favorite dust holes too! Now everyone did exceptionally well, no reaction. Except for one of my seabright hens. She had a bad reaction, probably because she jerked her head while doing her neck area and it went all over her face. The next morning she was lethargic acting. Just sat in the corner and couldn't keep her head up, I gave her electrolytes, and hand fed her some scrapes from dinner and the next day, I thought I may find her dead. But she actually improved. She is perfectly fine now. But I won't use 7 on her anymore. Just because of the bad reaction she had. But I dont have lice now. I plan on treating everyone again today for second dose. Except Tina she will be skipped except for her dustbath area.

Will def take that advice then. Aww glad she's better

I've seen pics of mites and they this dark red color. Nope wasnt that. This was a longer light brown insect. Mites also rounder I think. Will check them to tonight.
I'm following this. I have noticed two of my birds are itchy and have some kind of pest living on them. I'm also a new chicken mom. It's the white leghorn pullet about 12 weeks old seems to be bothered the most. I set up a chicken bath in an old tire with dirt, play sand, wood ash (burned wood myself) and food grade DE. Seems from what others are saying, that's not going to solve the problem and I will have to purchase some kind of spray or powder to treat them. The bugs I see on the white bird are like you said, long and brown and fast...definitely visible to the eye. Like a knat, but crawling in the feathers.

Back
Top Bottom