Not sure if it was poultry lice

I'm following this. I have noticed two of my birds are itchy and have some kind of pest living on them. I'm also a new chicken mom. It's the white leghorn pullet about 12 weeks old seems to be bothered the most. I set up a chicken bath in an old tire with dirt, play sand, wood ash (burned wood myself) and food grade DE. Seems from what others are saying, that's not going to solve the problem and I will have to purchase some kind of spray or powder to treat them. The bugs I see on the white bird are like you said, long and brown and fast...definitely visible to the eye. Like a knat, but crawling in the feathers.

Someone recommended the flea chicken dusting that has permethrin, so I got that...also got the stuff used on dogs but also read Adam's flea spray for puppies (couldnt find for puppies so got for all, puppy, adults and cats and kittens)works the same so got that....will use Adam's by doing what they said to do, to use cotton swab and rub on vent and under wings....will do that tonight....they said the puppy Adam's you can just spray on their skin but I will just do cotton swab for now to see how they handle it...I also bought a natural flea repellent for human homes like on couches to spray in coop....if it's safe for ppls couches and linnend and natural why not....i.just sprayed the coop and I do smell the peppermint...sprayed run 2...I willdo Adam's and if after a few weeks I continue seeing these insects will try the powder that has permethrin

I'm following this. I have noticed two of my birds are itchy and have some kind of pest living on them. I'm also a new chicken mom. It's the white leghorn pullet about 12 weeks old seems to be bothered the most. I set up a chicken bath in an old tire with dirt, play sand, wood ash (burned wood myself) and food grade DE. Seems from what others are saying, that's not going to solve the problem and I will have to purchase some kind of spray or powder to treat them. The bugs I see on the white bird are like you said, long and brown and fast...definitely visible to the eye. Like a knat, but crawling in the feathers.
I did read a lady tried what you did and she said it worked. So the wood ash you get from wood your burned right?

I agree DE and garlic are useless. I tried many different things when I had my first bout with mites and still had mites. I use permethrin. The bonus is there is no egg withdrawal period.
If you have a TSC they carry the permethrin dust, premixed spray bottles and the concentrate.
GordonPoultryDust.jpg PermethrinSprayB.jpg PermethrinSpraySm.jpg
so i got the poultry dust with permethrin. So i rub under wings and vent?

I know that, I raise rare breeds And they only lay in season. I love all breeds of poultry and I’ve dedicated my life to the preservation of my breed of choice. Tell me if you don’t mind what breeds do you have and how long have you had chickens, thanks😀
Not long. maybe 5 months. I'm new to owning chicken pets. My girls have been super healthy for the past 5 months. I do daily cleaning. I love my girls :) I have 5 and that is all I have time for now especially once I start working away from home.

I know that, I raise rare breeds And they only lay in season. I love all breeds of poultry and I’ve dedicated my life to the preservation of my breed of choice. Tell me if you don’t mind what breeds do you have and how long have you had chickens, thanks😀

forgot to add I had 1 silkie and 4 cherry eggers.

Someone recommended the flea chicken dusting that has permethrin, so I got that...also got the stuff used on dogs but also read Adam's flea spray for puppies (couldnt find for puppies so got for all, puppy, adults and cats and kittens)works the same so got that....will use Adam's by doing what they said to do, to use cotton swab and rub on vent and under wings....will do that tonight....they said the puppy Adam's you can just spray on their skin but I will just do cotton swab for now to see how they handle it...I also bought a natural flea repellent for human homes like on couches to spray in coop....if it's safe for ppls couches and linnend and natural why not....i.just sprayed the coop and I do smell the peppermint...sprayed run 2...I willdo Adam's and if after a few weeks I continue seeing these insects will try the powder that has permethrin
I tried Adam's and it did help but didn't get rid of the pests. Also remember, whatever you use will have to be reapplied weekly for 3/4 weeks because none will kill the pests eggs. I have had poultry for around 50 years and tried most everything at one time or another. I learned the hard way from trial and error.

Back
Top Bottom