Not sure if my (soon to be) 4 month old Ameraucana crossed chickens are roosters or not... Common qu

I am so attached and would be so sad if I wasn't able to keep them...I am more attached to one in particular, the other is the bully of the four that I have. To clarify, I started out getting 2 chicks in early january, they had racing stripe markings and beautiful eyeliner. I fell in love instantly. My girlfriend and I raised them inside, until they "feathered out" then stuck them outside in the coop with a heat lamp to make sure they had it incase they weren't warm enough with just the two of them, they never used it. It was a sad first few nights for me as the "mommy" to leave them outside...I worried non-stop. They got used to it quickly and didn't fuss too much. As they started getting bigger I noticed that they started to do this dance with each other and I started to wonder if they were roosters after all. The feathers don't have the shape to them like the other A's I have seen but they are crossed with a possibility of being part RIR, BO, PR...So I am at a loss...My wittle heart will break in two if I have to take them back to where I got them because they will end up on the dinner table. The picture of them was a few weeks ago but they don't look much different than this...also the lighter colored one is a few days younger. Rhoda is the larger one and the one I want more than anything to be a hen.

Greetings from Kansas, OhHappyDaycfam, and
welcome-byc.gif
! Great to have you with us! I'm the world's worst gender guesser on chickens so I will defer to the experts that patrol the link below - post there for more precise opinions. Good luck to you!

https://www.backyardchickens.com/f/15/what-breed-or-gender-is-this

welcome-byc.gif
from New Mexico!

Those 2 down in front look like pullets. If they were boys, they would already have their bright big combs in. I don't see any roosters in your pics. Size of bird has nothing to do with sex at this age. I think you are ok. LOL

So great to have you aboard and enjoy BYC!

Last edited:
Thank you! Although, they are Ameraucana cross...possibly full blood. The woman we got them from had a few different breeds. They have the ear muffs like the Ameraucanas which are known to have a pea comb. Would they still be bright red? Thank you for your input. I am very new at this and still have some learning to do!

You say you got them in January? That would put them at 4 months old. Normally roosters's combs start reddening in the first few weeks of life. By this age, they might even be crowing. I can't fully promise you that one of them might all of a sudden over night turn into a rooster, LOL, but I do not believe either of your birds are males.

You should post this question and these pics in the Gender section of the forums to be sure...

https://www.backyardchickens.com/f/15/what-breed-or-gender-is-this

I will keep my fingers crossed for you that you have pullets there. :)
fl.gif

welcome-byc.gif
when pullets are approaching point of lay - their combs will get redder and they may squat down when their back is touched - showing they are ready for a rooster.

they are no doubt pullets...if they were roosters they would already be practice crowing which pretty much sounds like a crow just a crackly, unsure sounding one

Oh thank heavens! My favorite is also the oldest, she has been laying around all day, in little nest like spots that she has dug for herself and not at all interested in what the other three are doing! I think she may be getting ready to lay! How long will she act this way before laying? I am beside myself with excitement! This will be my very first egg to gather and eat fresh out of the chicken! I am soooooooooooo excited. I keep looking around the yard to see if she has laid one where she isn't supposed to. It's like an adult easter egg hunt!

Back
Top Bottom