Not sure if they are sick

Babyjulie

In the Brooder
Mar 26, 2018
Texas
I have 12 chicks that are probably around 1-2 weeks old, all have been healthy and fine. Yesterday night I noticed that one of my Rhode Island reds was kind of lethargic, he was sleeping more then the rest. I fed her separate from the rest and made sure she drank lots of water, she had a little more energy after eating but went back to sleep since it was night and the rest were sleeping. This morning I noticed that she was still tired and her wings were slightly drooping. The other Rhode Island Red was also looking lethargic now and had droopy wings, I brought them both out and fed them. They had a little energy again. The rest of the chicks have been acting fine, but I'm worried about coccidiosis. They are on a medicated feed and they haven't had any blood in their stool but they have been getting pasty butt. My barred rock who is slightly older also has been getting pasty butt, but he isn't acting any different. I also was concerned that the pasty butt could be from their brooder being too hot since my oldest birds were panting the other night. I moved the heat lamp to the other side of the cage, it was in the middle before, and raised it up some. The birds aren't panting now but the younger ones huddle so now I think they might be cold? There isn't a huge age gap, they are maybe half a week or a week older max. I'm going to buy some cored right now and am going to start treatment for five days today. I just wanted to hop on and see if anyone had any ideas and if I should do anything else. Thanks in advance :) also, is it normal for my chicks too huddle when they sleep under the lamp, or doesn that mean they are cold, they walk around the whole brooder but when sleeping they huddle under the heat. And my 2 black sex links who are the oldest pant but stay under the lamp, I move them to their roost and thy stay for most of the night, but thy won't move by them selves they will just stay panting. I know that older birds don't need as much heat, but that's also why I moved the lamp to the other side, so that they can get awY from the heat if needed. Sorry for the long post and again thank you. I'm new to chicks and have been trying my best, I don't want to lose any but I also know that chicks are fragile.

I have 12 chicks that are probably around 1-2 weeks old, all have been healthy and fine. Yesterday night I noticed that one of my Rhode Island reds was kind of lethargic, he was sleeping more then the rest. I fed her separate from the rest and made sure she drank lots of water, she had a little more energy after eating but went back to sleep since it was night and the rest were sleeping. This morning I noticed that she was still tired and her wings were slightly drooping. The other Rhode Island Red was also looking lethargic now and had droopy wings, I brought them both out and fed them. They had a little energy again. The rest of the chicks have been acting fine, but I'm worried about coccidiosis. They are on a medicated feed and they haven't had any blood in their stool but they have been getting pasty butt. My barred rock who is slightly older also has been getting pasty butt, but he isn't acting any different. I also was concerned that the pasty butt could be from their brooder being too hot since my oldest birds were panting the other night. I moved the heat lamp to the other side of the cage, it was in the middle before, and raised it up some. The birds aren't panting now but the younger ones huddle so now I think they might be cold? There isn't a huge age gap, they are maybe half a week or a week older max. I'm going to buy some cored right now and am going to start treatment for five days today. I just wanted to hop on and see if anyone had any ideas and if I should do anything else. Thanks in advance :) also, is it normal for my chicks too huddle when they sleep under the lamp, or doesn that mean they are cold, they walk around the whole brooder but when sleeping they huddle under the heat. And my 2 black sex links who are the oldest pant but stay under the lamp, I move them to their roost and thy stay for most of the night, but thy won't move by them selves they will just stay panting. I know that older birds don't need as much heat, but that's also why I moved the lamp to the other side, so that they can get awY from the heat if needed. Sorry for the long post and again thank you. I'm new to chicks and have been trying my best, I don't want to lose any but I also know that chicks are fragile.

Do you have photos of the chicks and your brooder set-up?
Poop photos?

It sounds like they are too hot...but, panting and staying under the lamp with the wings out can also be a sign of Coccidiosis. Coccidiosis overload does not always present with bloody stools. 1-2wks old is a little young, but if you have mixed ages, then it's not a bad idea to treat them with the Corid. Dosage is 1 1/2 teaspoons Corid powder per gallon or 2 teaspoons of 9.6% Corid liquid per gallon.
Give for 5-7 days - make sure this is the ONLY water available during that time period. Mix a fresh batch at least once a day.

Sleeping in a pile is normal.

Let us know how they are doing.

Do you have photos of the chicks and your brooder set-up?
Poop photos?

It sounds like they are too hot...but, panting and staying under the lamp with the wings out can also be a sign of Coccidiosis. Coccidiosis overload does not always present with bloody stools. 1-2wks old is a little young, but if you have mixed ages, then it's not a bad idea to treat them with the Corid. Dosage is 1 1/2 teaspoons Corid powder per gallon or 2 teaspoons of 9.6% Corid liquid per gallon.
Give for 5-7 days - make sure this is the ONLY water available during that time period. Mix a fresh batch at least once a day.

Sleeping in a pile is normal.

Let us know how they are doing.

image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg
These are the two Rhode Island reds. I'm not actually too sure on how old they are, I've just been comparing them to other young birds. I might call the hatchery I got them from to see if they can tell me, I called them this morning and they suggested that I use corid to treat them, which is what I was already going to do. They also told me they would give me new birds if these passed, which didn't make me feel any better about their condition.
image.jpeg image.jpeg
This is my brooder set up, I used a Guinea pig cage. The cardboard walls are temporary till I get something better. I am planning on finding something larger for when they get older, but for now this is working I think.
image.jpeg
This is one of the RIR poops, she pooped right when I was trying to get a picture, It wasn't as liquid in the morning though.

I hope the corid will help them get Better, the rest of the chicks are still acting fine. I'm really worried about the two reds and I don't know what else I can do to help them. They seem very lethargic and have a hard time balancing it seems, they haven't fallen over but they seem very wobbley. I move them to the water bowl and food bowl so that they can drink the corid and eat some food. I will keep you updated. Hopefully they can fight and get through this.

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    285.2 KB · Views: 8
Were these babies shipped to you or did you go pick them up?

They are tiny babies (RIR), so may not be eating/drinking well. You may want to grind up their feed to a smaller crumble or offer the feed wet. I would also give them 1-2drops of Poultry Nutri-Drench a day for at least a week.

To me, the 3 black birds on the perch are several weeks older, so they won't need as much heat as the RIR. Could be the brooder is too hot for them, but not warm enough for the littles.

Were these babies shipped to you or did you go pick them up?

They are tiny babies (RIR), so may not be eating/drinking well. You may want to grind up their feed to a smaller crumble or offer the feed wet. I would also give them 1-2drops of Poultry Nutri-Drench a day for at least a week.

To me, the 3 black birds on the perch are several weeks older, so they won't need as much heat as the RIR. Could be the brooder is too hot for them, but not warm enough for the littles.

I picked them up in person, when I got them the man I brought them from said there wouldn't be any issues keeping them together, but I was still concerned, they also weren't that much bigger at the time. Should I keep them in separate Brooders until they catch up a bit and don't need as much heat? I'll try grinding the feed today or adding some water to it, but they are eating. is it safe for them to take the nutridrench with the cordid, or should I stop the cordid?

I really doubt it a cocci issue, the little ines are too young for it. I would not do corid, but give them sugar water in their waterer and a bit of nutri drench directly as recommended above. Put a thermometer under the light on the shavings and check the temp, make sure it’s warm enough for the tiny ones. I would house the bigger ones separately if the brooder isn’t big enough for them to have an area that is comfortably cooler for them. If they are panting they are too warm.
Keeping my fingers crossed for you!

I really doubt it a cocci issue, the little ines are too young for it. I would not do corid, but give them sugar water in their waterer and a bit of nutri drench directly as recommended above. Put a thermometer under the light on the shavings and check the temp, make sure it’s warm enough for the tiny ones. I would house the bigger ones separately if the brooder isn’t big enough for them to have an area that is comfortably cooler for them. If they are panting they are too warm.
Keeping my fingers crossed for you!
I am giving them both nutridrench, but I don't think the smallest one is going to make it. She has just been going down hill, she doesn't want to lift her head as much and doesn't want to eat only a small amount. I don't know if I should seperate her from the rest because I don't want the others to step on her, but I also don't want to add more stress on her. I've just been holding her under the heat lamp so that she stays warm and doesn't get trampled. I really hope she gets better but I don't think she will. I'll keep you updated

unfortunately Baby Red (her name) didn't make it, she passed around 9:30 last night in my hands. I wish I could have done more for her but I did what I could. Thank you Wyorp Rock and Stephine for the advice.

Back
Top Bottom