Not sure if this is good or bad, pretty sure it's bad

Ascholten

Free Ranging
Dec 12, 2020
Jacksonville, FL
So the past week I have had hawks on my property, literally perching right on the roof of the house, the boat, whatever, staring intently at my girls. I know the hawk is there because I get the excited, scared, daddy HELP ME, warning from the girls. (think urgent egg song).

The moment I open the door the hawk hauls ass and is gone. The problem is, it is STILL there to begin with!

I am finding out now, why they are there. There are a lot of baby rabbits in the yard. One of those rotten long legged rats bred somewhere and got baby's all over the place. This is the only reason I can reasonably think because it never was an issue with the hawks until the rabbits popped up.

My biggest fear is, the hawks are now keenly aware of my setup now, and once it gets all the rabbits, now my girls, are right there for the pickings too.

The fact that the hawk immediately takes off the second it even thinks humans are around, kind of makes any ideas of mitigation etc, less likely to work.

Im trapping the rabbits now as I can to get rid of them, hoping once they are gone, so will be the hawks, but not sure how well that will work.

Anyone have any other ideas how I can get around this mess?

Thanks
Aaron

How large a hawk? The species I have here that raids the yard is smaller and unable to carry off even a bantam size bird, so it preys on the smaller ducklings and chicks/poults.

Unfortunately this hawk is HUGE. It's a big red tail. Had one before that well, as you said, was probably too small to really do anything with a full grown hen but this one I have no doubts could take one of them. the thing I really don't like is that it's getting bolder. Really don't need to be having to deal with this 'issue' as well if I can help it.

Aaron

Unfortunately this hawk is HUGE. It's a big red tail. Had one before that well, as you said, was probably too small to really do anything with a full grown hen but this one I have no doubts could take one of them. the thing I really don't like is that it's getting bolder. Really don't need to be having to deal with this 'issue' as well if I can help it.

Aaron
Nothing to do, Aaron, but pen the flock for the time being. Shooting a hawk is like spitting in the wind... And they don't scare off either.

Oh I know they don't scare off and shooting one, they'll throw you under the jail for that too, so not an option. Even if I wanted to I don't think I could, I mean the moment it sees me even come near a door or window it takes off. the girls start making a fuss, I rattle the door handle and bam that hawk is out of there.

trapping the rabbits is not exactly easy either, I'll need some carrots or something, because my yard has tons of stuff for them to leisurely eat on, so I'll have to find something tastier than what's already here.

Aaron

Back
Top Bottom