Not sure if this is the correct thread, but found 2 of my hens dead this morning. *trigger warning, picture*

do you think it could've been my rooster, or another hen?
Absolutely NOT!

This IS the work of a predator, period.. And NOT the MO of mink, weasel, or anything rodent. Sourland is likely correct. The other thing that enters coops AND removes head is raccoons, but it looks different not leaving the neck behind so cleanly like that, usually.

I've raised hundreds of "roosters".. THIS is NOT what damage cause by a rooster (or other hen) will look like.. NO game cam needed.. to verify it is NOT caused by YOUR flock. If a pullet, cockerel, or hen were found over the dead body and pecking it.. they were inspecting or happenstance suspects and not the original offenders.

At 5 months old.. and Orpington cockerel is still going to be very immature and not have his full protective hormones on boards along with confidence that comes with age. You can cull if you like but it WON'T fix what happened.

and the one we found dead in the coop was a barred rock.
Was it in the coop or under it.. do you have any photos? Possible it was two different incidences?? Or the inside coop one was attacked outside and took the blood in with her??

Please, verify.. did you lose 3 birds today? 3 losses in a single day is NOT *usual* for raptors in MY experience.. but I see and learn new things every day. Adding your location MAY help with more relevant suggestions... other possible predators.. domestic dog, fox, coyote, skunk, opossum, owl. etc.. yes, technically even rats if given the opportunity. :(

Very sorry for you loss! :hugs

Absolutely NOT!

This IS the work of a predator, period.. And NOT the MO of mink, weasel, or anything rodent. Sourland is likely correct. The other thing that enters coops AND removes head is raccoons, but it looks different not leaving the neck behind so cleanly like that, usually.

I've raised hundreds of "roosters".. THIS is NOT what damage cause by a rooster (or other hen) will look like.. NO game cam needed.. to verify it is NOT caused by YOUR flock. If a pullet, cockerel, or hen were found over the dead body and pecking it.. they were inspecting or happenstance suspects and not the original offenders.

At 5 months old.. and Orpington cockerel is still going to be very immature and not have his full protective hormones on boards along with confidence that comes with age. You can cull if you like but it WON'T fix what happened.

Was it in the coop or under it.. do you have any photos? Possible it was two different incidences?? Or the inside coop one was attacked outside and took the blood in with her??

Please, verify.. did you lose 3 birds today? 3 losses in a single day is NOT *usual* for raptors in MY experience.. but I see and learn new things every day. Adding your location MAY help with more relevant suggestions... other possible predators.. domestic dog, fox, coyote, skunk, opossum, owl. etc.. yes, technically even rats if given the opportunity. :(

Very sorry for you loss! :hugs

We lost two, one was underneath the coop I found this morning, which I didn't notice when I was shutting their doors last night, I feel so guilty already, so please, don't be rude. I am devastated. The other was inside the coop, their is blood splattered on all of their walls, I didn't see that one as my father came to help me. It was just dying then. we live in newfoundland, Canada. There are no snakes, or raccoons here just in case anyone thinks it might be that.

Last edited:
I should also note, we have galvanized hardware cloth on every side of our run and so far going up on each side of our coop. We also have it dug into the ground so far, and rocks then put on top of the hardware cloth.

I feel so guilty already, so please, don't be rude.
Oh goodness, I'm sorry I didn't mean any rudeness! :hmm

Please don't feel guilty or beat yourself up, you cannot change what happened! :hugs

I understand you are hurting and here to learn how to stop this from happening again and protect any remaining birds. That's really all anyone could do, because this was NOT your cockerel, dear chicken fried.. that means you predator WILL return! From your recent description sounds like you may have almost caught them in the act. And it sound like a truly awful experience! :(

Are you able to post photos of your coop and run.. so we can look for entry spots?

The new information you posted has lots of useful details. And may get much different suggestions. I'm not truly a super hug a lot person, but it's the supportive intent.. that feels more important than my words right now, being no stranger to loss.
:hugs :hugs :hugs :hugs

Oh goodness, I'm sorry I didn't mean any rudeness! :hmm

Please don't feel guilty or beat yourself up, you cannot change what happened! :hugs

I understand you are hurting and here to learn how to stop this from happening again and protect any remaining birds. That's really all anyone could do, because this was NOT your cockerel, dear chicken fried.. that means you predator WILL return! From your recent description sounds like you may have almost caught them in the act. And it sound like a truly awful experience! :(

Are you able to post photos of your coop and run.. so we can look for entry spots?

The new information you posted has lots of useful details. And may get much different suggestions. I'm not truly a super hug a lot person, but it's the supportive intent.. that feels more important than my words right now, being no stranger to loss.
:hugs :hugs :hugs :hugs
Oh no I didn't mean you were being rude!! Just some people may have been. Thank you for your advice, I will definitely post pictures of my coop and run shortly.

Their doors for their coop inside their run are changed now, we slide them up instead of over.

Attachments

• B8FB79B9-3DFA-4DE2-95EC-32ED9683574E.jpeg
    B8FB79B9-3DFA-4DE2-95EC-32ED9683574E.jpeg
    259.8 KB · Views: 18
  • 8A20BAD6-2989-4954-A9EA-D8ED03D7835F.jpeg
    8A20BAD6-2989-4954-A9EA-D8ED03D7835F.jpeg
    178.5 KB · Views: 17
  • FB1BB71A-7163-4B7E-A39B-86CAF54BC027.jpeg
    FB1BB71A-7163-4B7E-A39B-86CAF54BC027.jpeg
    117.1 KB · Views: 22
  • 09E6D96B-C6A0-49B5-B00F-7BBFE44EBDE3.jpeg
    09E6D96B-C6A0-49B5-B00F-7BBFE44EBDE3.jpeg