Not sure if this is the right forum, but...

Discussion in 'Family Life - Stories, Pictures & Updates' started by Frosty, Jul 23, 2010.

1. Frosty

Frosty Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 30, 2008
    ND
    Do any of you eat egg shells?

2. CoopCrazy

CoopCrazy Brooder Boss

Mar 3, 2009
    Columbus,IN
    UHHHHHHHH NO!! WHy praytell would you???

( I was just teasing a bit )

I will have to research it, my mother has osteparosis so anything with extra calcium is a plus...

Last edited: Jul 23, 2010
  3. Hillsvale

Hillsvale Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 20, 2009
    Hillsvale, Nova Scotia
    I'm sure frosty just left out details... right frosty... you grind them or something for added calcium, right....[​IMG]

4. Frosty

Mar 30, 2008
    ND
    Yes, you grind them. They are supposed to be loaded with elemental calcium (absorbable to your system), similar in structure to our bones and teeth. In some studies (Dutch and Japan) they have improved bone density, and I was reading that they are more absorbable than the calcium supplements that you buy. And they have a lot of trace elements that are good for you too. I currently grind them up fine for my garden, but am considering eating them. I read that the membrane should be left in, but the shells washed...

5. darkmatter

darkmatter Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 10, 2009
    Not on purpose.....However, many years ago..... when I was in North Africa, me and my acquaintances partaking of the local cuisine, ordered something from the menu with the label "crepes" (not being able to speak or read that Language) for breakfast. Something came on the plates that was wrapped in a thin pastry/pancake coating that looked liked an egg. When we cut into it with a fork, it was a whole egg, including the shell ---- well, we ate it, the shell was softened by whatever cooking process was used to make it. Maybe someone else here on BYC knows what it was we ate, I don't.

6. chixie

chixie Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 6, 2009
    kountze texas
    not on purpose..

7. BC_Farms

BC_Farms Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 20, 2010
    Enfield & Chaplin CT
    Never on purpose, but my brownies are known to have "added calcium" [​IMG]

Make sure that if you are looking to increase calcium absorption and bone density that you also do exercises (both cardio and weight lifting will help) AND take vitamin D. When you exercise your bones feel the added stress and build themselves to accommodate for it...like how muscles get bigger by repairing torn muscle fiber (please don't keep on exercising until you fracture a bone though). Vitamin D aids in the absorption of calcium. Without it your body will absorb what it can and pass the rest.

Hope that helped.

8. thechickenchick

thechickenchick Born city, Living country

Mar 8, 2008
    Eaton, Colorado
    Very interesting [​IMG]

9. Frosty

Mar 30, 2008
    ND
    I was just curious if anyone does this, and possibly considering it for the family... if anyone is curious to see one article, it is here http://nourishedmagazine.com.au/blog/articles/how-to-make-calcium-using-egg-shells I am not worried about the exercise and vitamin D part, I spend a lot of time hauling bags of grain, manure, hay bales, water buckets, etc... which is basically cardio and weight bearing at the same time, out in the sun. But this article also mentions taking magnesium with it.

10. debilorrah

debilorrah The Great Guru of Yap Premium Member

Anything you do that makes your family healthier is a good idea. Just make sure to do more research before buying in to one article.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by