Not sure if this is where this ? on genetics should go . . . .

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by Whispering Winds, Jul 20, 2010.

1. Whispering Winds

Whispering Winds Chillin' With My Peeps

I was making my list out AGAIN and think the Golden Phoenix is just the prettiest rooster. It says their eggs are medium. If I would use that breed as the rooster, would the eggs of the large brown egg laying hens be smaller because of HIS genetics?

2. Goose and Fig

Goose and Fig Grateful Geese

Apr 19, 2009
    Fall Creek Falls TN
    They might be in-between. Or if you have several female offspring you could get a bit of each. All depends on what they inherit.

3. RAREROO

RAREROO Overrun With Chickens

Jul 22, 2009
    Alapaha, Ga
    Quote:If you are meaning to to ask if the Phoenix rooster breeds the large egg breeds, will it make there eggs smaller, then the answer is no, the size or breed of a rooster that fertilizes an egg will not affect the size of the egg that is laid, the egg will be the same size as it normally would be from that particular hen, even if it wasnt fertile.

But if you are talking about the female offspring from that Phoenix rooster on the large breed hens, then yes their eggs should be more of a medium size.

4. Whispering Winds

Whispering Winds Chillin' With My Peeps

Nope, I meant using the rooster. The hens are nice, but I like BIG brown eggs and so does everyone else I am going to have a market for, so that was my question. Thanks!!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by