Not Sure if You've Got a Pullet or a Cockerel? Click here! thread 3

Pics
That's a tough one, but after comparing to the Mom, this one is looking more like a pullet
1f602.png
Thank you for guessing.

Told you she/he was a tricky one.
tongue.png

We sold all the siblings but I'm keeping this one out of curiosity. Hoping for a pullet, but my mind changes back & forth depending on the pics. It's personality is just as sweet as the parents, but genetically it's got blue, choc, lav, & black orp. = a nightmare for breeding. Hoping she'll join our egg flock..... or else "he" will have to be dinner.

Last edited:
I just hatched out a sex-link mix from My Pet Chicken.
An assortment:
- 2 blue sex-links (Carolina Blue)
- 3 Rhodebars
- 1 Cream Legbar
- 1 Green Magnolia

So, here's what I know:
- I *think* I have 1 male, 1 female blue sex-link (sure about the female, not sure about male)
- I know I have 3 females and 2 males that are some combination of Rhodebars, Cream Legbar, Green Magnolia. Not sure which breed among these.
- Of the three "chipmunk" chicks, two are nearly identical, and the third a little bit different (missing "white" stripes on back that the other two have, different breed?).
- Of the two male (white dots on heads) yellow-ish chicks, one is very colorful (some yellow, hints of red, dark gray / black undertones, and one is more just golden)

I tried to keep track, but I have a pair of hens raising these, and they all started hatching at the same time, and then the chicks started walking from one hen to the other. I was organized with a list, clipboard, marked eggs, etc. But, at the last moment, everything got all mixed up!

I thank you for your help and opinions!

A couple of questions. Female Cream Legbars can look chipmunk, and so do Rhodebars, can you tell the difference? (All 3 Rhodebars, or 2 Rhodebars and a Cream Legbar?) (And please confirm. All females?)
IMG_8114.JPG

See the chipmunk one on the right is slightly different from the other two. The two on left must be Rhodebars. The one on right could either be the other Rhodebar with some variation, or a female Cream Legbar or Green Magnolia.
IMG_8116.JPG

And, I have two blue sex-links - a darker one (female), and a lighter one (male?). I'm not sure about the male. There is not a defined dot as I see with my other chicks. More of a lighter yellow-gray color. These are the only two gray chicks, so I assume they must be my Carolina Blues. (safe assumption?) I need confirmation that the lighter one is male before I rehome them. Need to be sure. I'm not quite positive. It's very subtle, and this one is so very light overall. (The Carolina Blue description says they come in a wide range, from light to dark blue.)
IMG_8153.JPG

IMG_8164.JPG
IMG_8165.JPG

One more of this light gray one pictured below in the next photo.

These are the three I *think* are males (but, I can't tell which breeds the two non-gray ones are). Choices are: Cream Legbar, Green Magnolia, Rhodebar, blue sex-link
IMG_8139.JPG

Photos of the two (yellow with dot) males pictured above (not sure breed).

The darker of the two yellow-ish males:
IMG_8121.JPG
IMG_8123.JPG

The lighter of the two yellow-ish males:
IMG_8066.JPG
IMG_8067.JPG

I just hatched out a sex-link mix from My Pet Chicken.
An assortment:
- 2 blue sex-links (Carolina Blue)
- 3 Rhodebars
- 1 Cream Legbar
- 1 Green Magnolia

So, here's what I know:
- I *think* I have 1 male, 1 female blue sex-link (sure about the female, not sure about male)
- I know I have 3 females and 2 males that are some combination of Rhodebars, Cream Legbar, Green Magnolia. Not sure which breed among these.
- Of the three "chipmunk" chicks, two are nearly identical, and the third a little bit different (missing "white" stripes on back that the other two have, different breed?).
- Of the two male (white dots on heads) yellow-ish chicks, one is very colorful (some yellow, hints of red, dark gray / black undertones, and one is more just golden)

I tried to keep track, but I have a pair of hens raising these, and they all started hatching at the same time, and then the chicks started walking from one hen to the other. I was organized with a list, clipboard, marked eggs, etc. But, at the last moment, everything got all mixed up!

I thank you for your help and opinions!

A couple of questions. Female Cream Legbars can look chipmunk, and so do Rhodebars, can you tell the difference? (All 3 Rhodebars, or 2 Rhodebars and a Cream Legbar?) (And please confirm. All females?)
View attachment 1060163

See the chipmunk one on the right is slightly different from the other two. The two on left must be Rhodebars. The one on right could either be the other Rhodebar with some variation, or a female Cream Legbar or Green Magnolia.View attachment 1060164

And, I have two blue sex-links - a darker one (female), and a lighter one (male?). I'm not sure about the male. There is not a defined dot as I see with my other chicks. More of a lighter yellow-gray color. These are the only two gray chicks, so I assume they must be my Carolina Blues. (safe assumption?) I need confirmation that the lighter one is male before I rehome them. Need to be sure. I'm not quite positive. It's very subtle, and this one is so very light overall. (The Carolina Blue description says they come in a wide range, from light to dark blue.)
View attachment 1060169

View attachment 1060172 View attachment 1060173
One more of this light gray one pictured below in the next photo.

These are the three I *think* are males (but, I can't tell which breeds the two non-gray ones are). Choices are: Cream Legbar, Green Magnolia, Rhodebar, blue sex-linkView attachment 1060174

Photos of the two (yellow with dot) males pictured above (not sure breed).

The darker of the two yellow-ish males:
View attachment 1060179 View attachment 1060180

The lighter of the two yellow-ish males:
View attachment 1060182 View attachment 1060183

img_8139-jpg.1060174

You are correct that the 2 light browns pictured here are male sex-linked chicks.
I'm not really sure about that blue one. Blues can come in darker & lighter shades depending on the parents & breeding. That chick looks almost like a lavender. I do not see a clear spot, so I wouldn't give it away yet. (Unless it's the pic & there is a headspot in person) If you keep it for 4-6 weeks, you'll have a much better idea of gender.

Thank you for your advice. I'll keep him/her and wait and see on the light gray one.
I guess we'll eventually find out what breed the chipmunk ones are.

Thank you so much for taking the time to look over my chicks.

Kimberly

Might have a Splash chick. Always a chance with a Blue to Blue breeding. And will make a head spot difficult to see. Rhodebars, Magnolias, and Legbars all look pretty much the same as chicks, so you're going to have to wait for them to grow up a bit to see which is which.

I've got this little guy, he's about 5/6 weeks, an Ameurucana.. we bought him at about 2 weeks old thinking
IMG_1884.JPG
IMG_1886.JPG
IMG_1887.JPG
it was a pullet.. but he's looking very roostery to us! His whole mannerism and walk is so different from the hens. Thoughts?

I've got this little guy, he's about 5/6 weeks, an Ameurucana.. we bought him at about 2 weeks old thinkingView attachment 1060877 View attachment 1060878 View attachment 1060879 it was a pullet.. but he's looking very roostery to us! His whole mannerism and walk is so different from the hens. Thoughts?

It looks like a pullet for now. Usually if there's no male around, a female will take charge. The only caution is that they all look like pullets.... until they don't. You either have a pullet or a late blooming male.

Might have a Splash chick. Always a chance with a Blue to Blue breeding. And will make a head spot difficult to see. Rhodebars, Magnolias, and Legbars all look pretty much the same as chicks, so you're going to have to wait for them to grow up a bit to see which is which.
I hadn't thought of that! OK. We will wait and see on the blue and on the other breeds. I really appreciate your opinion. Thanks.

Back
Top Bottom