Not Sure If You've Got A Pullet Or A Cockerel? Click Here! Thread 4

I've got one response for cockerel and one for pullet. Any advice on how to narrow it down? The behavior is the main thing that made me think it might be a cockerel. Very jumpy, flighty, often jumps on top of my other EE pullet, and generally seems more high energy and aggravated. Then I started looking at other posts on Barred Rock sexing. Should I just wait and see another week or so?
BR cockerels will be lighter colored (more white less dark barring), also less black leg wash, and there combs will star growing sooner. I do believe you have a cockerel.

one thing, BR pullets cannot have as light of barring as roosters. Rooster barring is finer (thinner), but your cick doesnt have adult feathers yet. Watch for comb growth way too early, saddle feathers, etc. Also, the plain yellow legs aren't a sure tell tale signs, but usually mean cockerel. Pullets tend to have a black tint to the legs :)

here's a few more pictures! the comb is looking very pink and growing faster than my older pullet (8-9 weeks)

We are very new to having chickens!!! My children got me some chicks from a breeder and are supposed to be full breed?? We are not allowed to have roo's so I hope someone can help!! I tried posted some pics a couple of weeks ago but I think theft were to young. But my best guess is they are now 5/6 weeks, so any help on the sex is much appreciated

Was told it's a black copper marans - Sam

Was told this cutie is an amerucana - Daisy
I hope the pics are ok. I have a few more chicks to photo so will try to get better ones if these don't work! THANX AGAIN

Last edited:
We are very new to having chickens!!! My children got me some chicks from a breeder and are supposed to be full breed?? We are not allowed to have roo's so I hope someone can help!! I tried posted some pics a couple of weeks ago but I think theft were to young. But my best guess is they are now 5/6 weeks, so any help on the sex is much appreciated

Was told it's a black copper marans

Was told this cutie is an amerucana
I hope the pics are ok. I have a few more chicks to photo so will try to get better ones if these don't work! THANX AGAIN
The top one looks like a cockerel the bottom one maybe a pullet (need a better photo though).

Last edited:
We are very new to having chickens!!! My children got me some chicks from a breeder and are supposed to be full breed?? We are not allowed to have roo's so I hope someone can help!! I tried posted some pics a couple of weeks ago but I think theft were to young. But my best guess is they are now 5/6 weeks, so any help on the sex is much appreciated Was told it's a black copper marans Was told this cutie is an amerucana I hope the pics are ok. I have a few more chicks to photo so will try to get better ones if these don't work! THANX AGAIN
The top one looks like a cockerel the bottom one maybe a pullet (need a better photo though).

Back
Top Bottom