Not Sure If You've Got A Pullet Or A Cockerel? Click Here!

Pics
Hi there! Here is what I think is a Barred Rock chick we got from my daughters class hatch named Pepper. We thought we got a hen but she is now 3 wks old and got tail feathers super quick within a week of having her it seemed, the legs looked darker washed when I got her but now dont seem as dark washed and the comb is already started to turn pink/reddish. She is always trying to fly and escape, is a bit of a bully to our other chicks who are different breeds and dont really like to be handled like the other do either. I hope the pictures are clear enough I tried to get a variety.

Below, here is a picture of her when she was about a week old in the lower corner showing her white spot on her head. Thats not the best picture but she seems more dark than gray.

Well here are my Mottled Houdan's I got from Ideal Poultry not sure if it's too early to tell - two are much larger than the one little guy I'm thinking knowing my luck with a straight run I have two boys and a girl.. :D

Bigger chick front

Smaller chick front

Smaller chick tried for side shot - too skittish

Side shot of bigger chick

How bout these 4 week old EEs. I wasn't initially worried about them, but now I am understanding that determining the gender of this breed can be unusually tricky:

1)

2)

Hi there! Here is what I think is a Barred Rock chick we got from my daughters class hatch named Pepper. We thought we got a hen but she is now 3 wks old and got tail feathers super quick within a week of having her it seemed, the legs looked darker washed when I got her but now dont seem as dark washed and the comb is already started to turn pink/reddish. She is always trying to fly and escape, is a bit of a bully to our other chicks who are different breeds and dont really like to be handled like the other do either. I hope the pictures are clear enough I tried to get a variety.

Below, here is a picture of her when she was about a week old in the lower corner showing her white spot on her head. Thats not the best picture but she seems more dark than gray.

Definitely a rooster. Those are such big, red combs and wattles!!

I have a couple of sweet 4 week old chicks that I can't figure out whether they are a pullet or cockerel? Any ideas?

Also, thoughts on whether this is a cuckoo maran or barred rock?

Buff Silkie

Last edited:
Hi,
We have a few chicks that I am hoping are all pullets since we can't keep roosters where we live but I am suspicious about some.

Chick 1 Black Australorp 6.5 wks and Chick 2 Leghorn/Jersey Giant 5 wks

Chick 3 EE 5.5 wks

Chick 4 EE 5.5 wks

Chick 5 RIR 5.5 wks

Chick 6 Barred Rock 5.5 wks

Chick 7 Jersey Giant 5 wks

Chick 8 Supposedly a Black Sex Link (from TSC) 6.5wks - this is the one worrying me the most even though she should have been a guaranteed pullet, I'm wondering if s/he is some other breed that was mislabeled.

Any help would be appreciated.

I picked up this Buff Orpington because the owner was convinced it is a rooster. I was happy to take it either way, but I see pullet here. 10-11 Weeks. What do you think?

Back
Top Bottom