Not Sure If You've Got A Pullet Or Cockerel? Click Here! Thread 2

Hello again!
Finally got some better pictures of these two.

Any help sexing these would be great! Wasn't planning on having a rooster but don't think I could ever separate these two.

Any guesses on sex and breed of any of these?

1. 10 week old Americanas

2. 10 week old black sex link

3. 6 week old silkies

4. 10 week old buff orphington

5. 3 week old unknown, i hatched this one out but dont know what it is

6. 10 week old Americana

7. 10 week old Americanas

8. more 3 week olds that I hatched out

9. 6 week old wyandotts (atleast thats what i was told) plus 3 and 5 week old babies i hatched

10. 10 week Americana

11. 6 weeks old supposed to be silkie but the feathers are different

12. 10 week old Americanas

13. 10 week old Americana

14. more unknown hatchlings 2 and 3 weeks old

16. 6 week old wyandotts or so I was told. lol

17. I bought 3 of what I thought was silkies but this one doesnt have the "silkie" feathers like the other 2, any guesses on what breed it is?

18. 10 week old black sex link

19. 10 week old Americana and buff orphington

20. 3 week old unknown hatchling

3. 6 week old silkies

6. 10 week old Americana

9. 6 week old wyandotts (atleast thats what i was told) plus 3 and 5 week old babies i hatched

10. 10 week Americana

13. 10 week old Americana

14. more unknown hatchlings 2 and 3 weeks old

17. I bought 3 of what I thought was silkies but this one doesnt have the "silkie" feathers like the other 2, any guesses on what breed it is?

19. 10 week old Americana and buff orphington

20. 3 week old unknown hatchling
Yes, your "Wyandottes" appear to be Barred Rocks- 2 cockerels and one pullet. The cockerels have the lighter color. Pretty confident the the Buff Orp is a pullet.
#10 looks like a boy. Most of the other Americanas look like pullets but maybe others have different opinions. For the hatchlings, maybe post them again in another couple of weeks.
The other breeds I don't have any experience with- but there's a start to the guessing game!

'Our chicks have some Araucana and some Ameraucana blood mixed and consequently are not for show ' - quoted straight from Murray McMurray website. They do not have the recognized breed Ameraucana at all. They have Easter Eggers. 
Ameraucana are more than just leg color. They are a consistent breed. You know what you are going to get in terms of color, egg color, size, production rate, and temperament. There are no such guarantees with Easter Eggers.

Does this mean she may lay eggs that are not blue? If I remember correctly EEs are the breed that can lay eggs in any possible egg color. Can one EE hen lay many different color eggs or just that the "breed" EE has a wide variety of possible egg colors? I got 1 each of six different breeds in the hope that I would know who was laying first and how often by egg color... But I guess I will have to just wait and see
263a.png

Does this mean she may lay eggs that are not blue? If I remember correctly EEs are the breed that can lay eggs in any possible egg color. Can one EE hen lay many different color eggs or just that the "breed" EE has a wide variety of possible egg colors? I got 1 each of six different breeds in the hope that I would know who was laying first and how often by egg color... But I guess I will have to just wait and see
263a.png

Just wanted to say that mpc is now advertising that they are selling real Ameracaunas and not just easter eggers. :)

263a.png
A hen will only lay one color, through her entire life. You never can be sure what color that will be with an Easter Egger. Usually they lay blue or green, but your hen might lay a shade of brown, cream, or pink. There is no way to tell what color egg your girl will lay until she actually starts laying.

Easter Eggers, pullets
pullet
3. 6 week old silkies
No idea
pullet
Easter Egger pullet
6. 10 week old Americana
Easter Egger pullet
Easter Egger pullets
No obvious cockerels yet.

10. 10 week Americana
Easter Egger cockerel
Silkie mix
Easter Egger pullets
Barred Rocks, cockerel, pullet, cockerel

Pullet

I have a 7 1/2 week old Easter Egger who is giving mixed signals. She (hopefully she) started out as a light colored chipmunk chick. She was also noticeably bigger than the other chicks I received, and had more wing feather development. I would have sworn she was a few days older than the other chicks in the shipment.
Her comb is nice and feminine, but she is developing red on her wings. The red feathers aren't shiny though, as was the case of a roo I had a few years back who started sporting red on his wings. Could she just be a hen who will have red feathering? Any ideas? (I've named this one Francis, as it will be fitting for either a pullet or cockerel!)

Seen here next to a 6 week old chick.

She's the same age as the speckled sussex to the left and the lavender orpington under what we call "the kid's coop".

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom