Not Sure If You've Got A Pullet Or Cockerel? Click Here! Thread 2

Neqrly 7 week old SLW.. bought as a pullet but definitely has me questioning.

I've got ten chickens and two were supposed to be White Leghorns, but we got them at the feedstore. I've since learned that the feedstore isn't the ideal place to go. Long story short, we're worried these might be meat birds. They grew twice as fast as the others, and now they're wobbling along and breathing heavy and look terrible compared to the other 8. I guess I'll start here and hope for an I.D. first, then move on to why they have bald patches and breath like they smoke a pack a day. Aprox. 7 weeks old.

I've got ten chickens and two were supposed to be White Leghorns, but we got them at the feedstore. I've since learned that the feedstore isn't the ideal place to go. Long story short, we're worried these might be meat birds. They grew twice as fast as the others, and now they're wobbling along and breathing heavy and look terrible compared to the other 8. I guess I'll start here and hope for an I.D. first, then move on to why they have bald patches and breath like they smoke a pack a day. Aprox. 7 weeks old.

cornish if i had to guess it looks like a pullet

Cornish Cross. And if they are having mobility and health issues already, it's time to invite them to dinner. They aren't very long lived birds even under the best of circumstances, with careful management and feed restriction. Gender is irrelevant. They probably won't live long enough to lay eggs or crow.

Last edited:
Thanks for the info.
What a disappointment. These were advertised as White Leghorns and we've been treating them as such. Now my wife and I are in a tough spot because they've become pets. So upset.

Thanks for the info.
What a disappointment. These were advertised as White Leghorns and we've been treating them as such. Now my wife and I are in a tough spot because they've become pets. So upset.
Some feed store employees will say literally anything to get the last few chicks sold before the new batch comes in. You aren't the first new chicken owner to have this problem. Happens to many others, every single spring/summer.
I know that doesn't make things any easier. But it really is in the birds' best interests that their lives are ended sooner rather than later. They will eventually develop heart problems, their legs can break from their sheer bulk, or their joints can twist out of place from the strain. They are not bred to live more than a few months, at most. And it's best to ensure that they pass in a quick manner, with as little suffering as possible; rather than have them die a lingering, slow death.

Yes, really. Unless they are very carefully managed, very early on, slaughter is the only humane option. If you try to keep them for a while, they will only end up with pain and suffering. You will not be doing them a kindness by keeping them around.

Maybe these are better here's a couple different of each one, can you see and Roos they are 7-8 weeks old

Back
Top Bottom