Not Sure If You've Got A Pullet Or Cockerel? Click Here! Thread 2

I got these 2 birds yesterday from a feed store. I was told they were 11 week old Ameraucanas, which they clearly aren't. I think (hope) they are Easter Eggers. The red one is a bit bigger than the black one and has more of a tail. I'm nervous that she might be a he. (they are huddling in the wind, thus the fluffy feathers)

I got these 2 birds yesterday from a feed store. I was told they were 11 week old Ameraucanas, which they clearly aren't. I think (hope) they are Easter Eggers. The red one is a bit bigger than the black one and has more of a tail. I'm nervous that she might be a he. (they are huddling in the wind, thus the fluffy feathers)

Those look like Salmon Faverolle cockerels.

oh man. I'm fine with Faverolles, but I'm feeling a little like I've been led astray. Anyone else want to weigh in on their gender?

oh man. I'm fine with Faverolles, but I'm feeling  a little like I've been led astray. Anyone else want to weigh in on their gender? 
they appear to be salmon favorelle cockerels. The males color in differently than the females. They are not 11 weeks old either. Maybe 5ish weeks at the most.

Those are crappy Faverolles pullets. This past year, multiple hatcheries (but in particular Ideal) have produced some of the crappiest Faverolles I've ever seen. I would actually think they could be called mixed breeds and it would be more accurate. I watched an entire batch of 30+ if these birds grow out. Every one of them was colored like a cockerel. Every one of them was female. It's blatant outcrossing and frankly I'm grossed out that a hatchery has the audacity to pass these off as purebreds. Hatchery quality is one thing, absolute and complete mutts sold as hatchery quality purebreds are another. Also, those birds do not look too good. In addition to having horrible color and type, I found these mixed Faverolles to have pretty poor health and vigor - they grew half as slow as all the other breeds in the hatch. I wouldn't be surprised if they're actually 11 weeks or thereabouts, because the birds I watched grow out WERE the size of 5-6 week olds at 11 weeks. I'd recommend giving your two a bit of TLC - put them under a heat lamp and offer some electrolytes in the water.

Last edited:
They are still cute, even if they are not up a "breed standard"
love.gif

Here are my 7 week old "Brahma" chicks, which I've been told are also of horrible quality. Either way i love them, Skittle and Nugget. Any ideas if they are pullets or cockerels?

Or is it still too early?

They are still cute, even if they are not up a "breed standard"
love.gif

Here are my 7 week old "Brahma" chicks, which I've been told are also of horrible quality. Either way i love them, Skittle and Nugget. Any ideas if they are pullets or cockerels?

Or is it still too early?
Typical hatchery quality. Still very identifiable as Partridge Brahma pullets. That coloring is very specific to females. They do look like they may be 'vulture' hocked, though, which is a major fault for the breed.

Back
Top Bottom