Not Sure If You've Got A Pullet Or Cockerel? Click Here! Thread 2

Here are a couple of pics of our reds at 12 weeks. The first pic is of "Cheese" and the jury is still out on whether he/she is a rooster or not. Cheese has a redder and larger comb/wattles than the other two, but not as large as I would have expected for a rooster. The second pic is of "Mrs. Puff" an "Jen the Hen" (my children named them all) for comparison, with cheese in the back left.
They all look like pullets.
welcome-byc.gif

We bought 2 Austrolorp and 2 Wyandotte pullets? from a local feed store in early May. Based on supposed age at purchase they should be about 10 weeks now. Worried that I may have roos in the bunch. What do you guys think?

Mabel - Biggest of the bunch

Oyster - Smallest of the group (back right in top photo) Kind of camera shy

Pepper

Clucky - This one is pretty frisky, pretty much the boss, although Mabel gives her a run for her money. Just started walking around with tail sticking straight up

Definitely can't have any roos, so would like to try to figure it out now if I can. Sorry about the sideways pics, couldn't get them to rotate no matter what I did.

They look like pullets. Not sure on Clucky because of the wattles. Not a well bred Wyandotte, which can happen, but comb is not correct, so may not be following expected Wyandotte development. Wait and see on Clucky.
Man, I sure was hoping they were all pullets, will just have to keep an eye on Clucky I guess. Maybe we'll get lucky. I guess the good news is that the Austrolorps, which are the friendliest, are girls.

Dangit, and I was upset that one might be a roo :(  I'll just hope for the best for now.

Something I found is the males tails tend to be slow feathering. I don't know if this works for all but it was 100 percent accurate with my 6. The red combs are pretty red for pullets though.
Edit. This only works for the wyandottes.

Last edited:
These chick's will be 4 weeks on sat. Can you tell me the gender yet? The first picture is both of them together and the second picture is of the chick in the back of the first picture

Back
Top Bottom