Not Sure If You've Got A Pullet Or Cockerel? Click Here! Thread 2

Im sure someone else has tried this. I did a quick and dirty experiment at work extracting DNA from feathers then doing a PCR with generic avian sex primers. It didn't work. I got terrible DNA yields from the cut feather tips. I don't want to hurt them plucking and I don't want to try to get blood. Poop could work. I know it sounds funny but if you have the resources, why not try.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

i can't tell if this is a hen or a roo. It's suppose to be a hen. It's a little over a month old.

I'm a total newby but learning SO MUCH from this site!

I'm unsure about these 2 babies, I have had them for just over 4 weeks and they may have been a week old when I bought them, at the most, fingers crossed for pullets, but doubtful.

What do you think?

I don't know bantams very well, but the 1st pic looks all boy to me.

The 2nd one would depend on age. If slightly older, like 8-10 weeks, then it could be a female. When in doubt, it's always best to hold on to them until you're sure.

i can't tell if this is a hen or a roo. It's suppose to be a hen. It's a little over a month old.
Looks much older than one month. If the seller said "Hen" then it could be an adult female- a one year old. Otherwise a big red comb like that at less than 6 weeks of age would have to be a male.

Looks much older than one month.  If the seller said "Hen" then it could be an adult female-  a one year old.  Otherwise a big red comb like that at less than 6 weeks of age would have to be a male.
Well I bought it when it was just a chick so I've raised it from a week or so old. I work at tractor supply so that's where I got it. It was suppose to be a pullet.

I'm a total newby but learning SO MUCH from this site!

I'm unsure about these 2 babies, I have had them for just over 4 weeks and they may have been a week old when I bought them, at the most, fingers crossed for pullets, but doubtful.

What do you think?

First one is a cockerel, could you get a side view picture of the second one? I'm leaning towards cockerel for it as well.

First one is a cockerel, could you get a side view picture of the second one? I'm leaning towards cockerel for it as well.

Yes I'm afraid you are right! Lol I got the bantam as a chick so I don't think there is any way he is that old. He is the sweetest little thing though! My son picked him out and named him Nugget.

I can get better pics we just snapped these last night.

Back
Top Bottom