Not sure what’s wrong help!

@AidKD not great. I thought it was doing better and then tonight when we went out to lock up she wasn’t in the coop, she was roosting in the run. I really think she’s being bullied but every time I sit and watch them to see which of the hens is bullying her nothing happens. Then if I’m working outside or in the kitchen I’ll hear them squawking and flying around like it’s fighting going on but by the time I get to the coop to check they are all acting normal. Super frustrating! I wasn’t sure about the honey because I didn’t want the others to peck at it… we’ve been flushing her eye with saline solution very gently and then putting this ophthalmic drops in her eye that I got at TSC. They don’t say they’re for chickens but I was trying to research more and figure it out and someone that has a lot of chickens and farm animals has used it for chickens many times with good results. She seemed to be doing better and this morning for the first time in a while she had both eyes open when I let them out of the coop. Then tonight when we did the drops her eye was swollen shut again and her neck is missing more feathers and the middle part is flaming red. We made a crate for her in the garage with a fan and water for the night, I don’t want to leave her out separately for long because I’m worried that when I put her back in she will be bullied more. In that coop we only have 3 little hens (2 Easter Eggers and a Wellsummer). Any advice is appreciated. I can try the honey but had asked if it just goes around the eye and I didn’t see any response to that and I didn’t feel comfortable with it. I think tomorrow I’m going to put her back in in the morning and remove one of the other hens for a few days and see if the bullying stops, if not I’ll put that one back in and try removing the other one. I’m hoping she isn’t sick, because the flaming red neck is weird but maybe because she’s being pecked. I had a hen being bullied in our other coop, removed the culprit for a few days and that has gone waaaay down. I tried to put the other hen that was being bullied with just Charlotte to see if maybe I could just separate the two of them in their own little coop but then Elliott attacked Charlotte 😭 I guess she figured she better attack before she got attacked. But if anyone has any advice on how to integrate the two of them I would be happy to hear it!! It wasn’t just a little, it was constant and rough and pulling feathers and poor Charlotte was cowering in the corner. I’ll attach pictures of her neck/eye from tonight. Thank you for any advice!! Blessings!

Attachments

• 2B29A10D-E5CC-42E6-9FD7-1DA2D7A73B2C.jpeg
    2B29A10D-E5CC-42E6-9FD7-1DA2D7A73B2C.jpeg
    507.6 KB · Views: 3
  • 2C8325F2-356B-4BA7-B942-371ABD908175.jpeg
    2C8325F2-356B-4BA7-B942-371ABD908175.jpeg
    361.9 KB · Views: 2
And I just went back through the comments… for some reason I didn’t see your reply to just around the outside of her eye 😬 I’ll try that tomorrow morning!

Use plain None Pain Relieving, Triple Antibiotic Ointment in the eye, or Terramycin eye ointment if you got any.

First flush out the honey?
X2

Flush with a syringe and saline. Push on the eylid lightly with a qtip or the tip of your finger and see if there is any puss in there. If so, you'll need to remove that first before anything at all will help. Then, as mystery said, goop the TAO in there and wipe off some of the excess.

@AidKD not great. I thought it was doing better and then tonight when we went out to lock up she wasn’t in the coop, she was roosting in the run. I really think she’s being bullied but every time I sit and watch them to see which of the hens is bullying her nothing happens. Then if I’m working outside or in the kitchen I’ll hear them squawking and flying around like it’s fighting going on but by the time I get to the coop to check they are all acting normal. Super frustrating! I wasn’t sure about the honey because I didn’t want the others to peck at it… we’ve been flushing her eye with saline solution very gently and then putting this ophthalmic drops in her eye that I got at TSC. They don’t say they’re for chickens but I was trying to research more and figure it out and someone that has a lot of chickens and farm animals has used it for chickens many times with good results. She seemed to be doing better and this morning for the first time in a while she had both eyes open when I let them out of the coop. Then tonight when we did the drops her eye was swollen shut again and her neck is missing more feathers and the middle part is flaming red. We made a crate for her in the garage with a fan and water for the night, I don’t want to leave her out separately for long because I’m worried that when I put her back in she will be bullied more. In that coop we only have 3 little hens (2 Easter Eggers and a Wellsummer). Any advice is appreciated. I can try the honey but had asked if it just goes around the eye and I didn’t see any response to that and I didn’t feel comfortable with it. I think tomorrow I’m going to put her back in in the morning and remove one of the other hens for a few days and see if the bullying stops, if not I’ll put that one back in and try removing the other one. I’m hoping she isn’t sick, because the flaming red neck is weird but maybe because she’s being pecked. I had a hen being bullied in our other coop, removed the culprit for a few days and that has gone waaaay down. I tried to put the other hen that was being bullied with just Charlotte to see if maybe I could just separate the two of them in their own little coop but then Elliott attacked Charlotte 😭 I guess she figured she better attack before she got attacked. But if anyone has any advice on how to integrate the two of them I would be happy to hear it!! It wasn’t just a little, it was constant and rough and pulling feathers and poor Charlotte was cowering in the corner. I’ll attach pictures of her neck/eye from tonight. Thank you for any advice!! Blessings!
This missing feathers are a bit strange. Could very well be from her scratching at or picking whatever is bothering her eye (residual toes hitting the neck portion as she scratches).

How is her breathing? Is it labored or raspy? Does she have any nasal discharge? Sometimes swollen eyes can be a sign of respiratory illness like MG or Coryza. Not to say she has these things, but important to make sure to not get too distracted with the eye if something else is going On - hence these seemingly unrelated questions.

I know you said she was roosting in the run. Aside from that, is she showing any other signs of lethargy or strange behaviors?

Make sure to check the rest of the flock and see if you notice any swelling or similar symptoms.

Use plain None Pain Relieving, Triple Antibiotic Ointment in the eye, or Terramycin eye ointment if you got any.

First flush out the honey?
I was going to do the honey just around her eye this morning but I haven’t yet. I waiting on my son to help me hold her while I do it… I don’t have any of those ointments, is there a place I could get antibiotic ointment without having to go to a vet? Thanks!

This missing feathers are a bit strange. Could very well be from her scratching at or picking whatever is bothering her eye (residual toes hitting the neck portion as she scratches).

How is her breathing? Is it labored or raspy? Does she have any nasal discharge? Sometimes swollen eyes can be a sign of respiratory illness like MG or Coryza. Not to say she has these things, but important to make sure to not get too distracted with the eye if something else is going On - hence these seemingly unrelated questions.

I know you said she was roosting in the run. Aside from that, is she showing any other signs of lethargy or strange behaviors?

Make sure to check the rest of the flock and see if you notice any swelling or similar symptoms.
No other symptoms that we’ve noticed, she is breathing fine and her nose seems clear, no runny nose or rasping… the other girls seem fine but I’ll double check them this morning. She doesn’t seem lethargic, she’s been up moving around like normal. I did add VetRx to their water just in case but I can give her a drop in her beak too? We did that when they had dry fowl pox months ago I guess it helped then (unfortunately we’re in FL and mosquitoes are awful here, I’m assuming that’s how they got them but they are all cleared up for months now so I doubt that is related). The other person who responded said to use the TAO but I don’t know where to get that other than the vet? That’s not really in our budget. Thank you for your help and advice! I’m going to go double check the other girls. When I took Charlotte food this morning and checked on her I think her eye looks a little more swollen on her upper lid. So frustrating and I feel so bad for her.

X2

Flush with a syringe and saline. Push on the eylid lightly with a qtip or the tip of your finger and see if there is any puss in there. If so, you'll need to remove that first before anything at all will help. Then, as mystery said, goop the TAO in there and wipe off some of the excess.
I do think there is some pus, I figured that squirting some saline in there would loosen it, thank you for that advice! As soon as my son is up in a few minutes we will go push gently to try to get the pus out and rinse it after that. I don’t know where to get TAO except a vet? That’s just not in my budget right now, is there somewhere to get it over the counter? I checked TSC for something like that and all I could find was that ophthalmic eye drops but they don’t have an antibiotic in them.

This is what we found at TSC and have been using after the saline since we couldn’t get antibiotic drops otc

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    252.5 KB · Views: 2

Back
Top Bottom