Not sure what is going on!!!

MyChickalees

Chirping
5 Years
May 16, 2014
Tampa, Florida
My (6) chickens are 12 weeks old, and enduring 90+ heat temps. in their run! They all are doing fine, with my help, of frozen water bottles (which they LOVE), a fan while we are home, and cool treats once a day!

But, this evening....I noticed the largest hen, just laying down under the coop, it is elevated with a nice breeze (she is not panting) she would not come for the treats as she has always done!

Her butt is in the air, and she is pecking the dirt in front of her. She really doesn't seem in distress....but, I can tell there is SOMETHING not right with her!!

Any ideas????? HELP!!

They may need some vitamins/electrolytes added to their water during the hot days, and I would make sure there are extra water stations in the shade. Look out for symptoms of coccidiosis--lethargy, diarrhea (sometimes with blood,) puffing up or hunching, and poor appetite. /the treatment if Corid for 5 days in the water. Also check her crop to make sure it i emptying by morning.

I have been adding electrolytes to their water for about a week now! Good idea with the extra water stations....at this time they have a 3 gallon that we change daily, and add the electrolytes too. Which I would think would be ok for 6 chickens!

She is not puffing up....just butt in the air while laying down. Thanks for the idea of checking the crop! They are about to go roost for the night....I will see what she does!

Thanks so much for the help...I need all the help I can get in this newly found chicken adventure that we have taken on! :)

She roosted just fine!!! I might be just a little overly weary\worried!
I just want the best for them!

I should just keep true to me...."Keep Calm and LOVE Chickens?"

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom