Not sure what is happening?!?!

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by SilkieLady608, Sep 13, 2018.

1. SilkieLady608

SilkieLady608 In the Brooder

Jul 10, 2018
    IMG_20180913_085509637.jpg
    My Rhode island red is a little over 6 months old. She has not begun to lay eggs yet. Could she be trying to lay one now? She's been staying off to herself and has been like this since yesterday evening. Could she be sick? Never have had this happen before. I'm going to separate her for now just in case she has something that is catching. Help!!

2. rebrascora

rebrascora Free Ranging

Feb 14, 2014
    Consett Co.Durham. UK
    That tail down, hunched back posture suggests to me that she may have a shell less egg in her system that is causing her problems. You might want to offer her a calcium supplement like a human calcium with vit D tablet or even half a Tums (indigestion tablet) if that's what you have in the house. A soak in a warm Epsom Salts solution bath may also help her to relax and pass it. Shell less eggs are reasonably common when birds first start laying. Do you have crushed oyster shell available them to help themselves if they need it? Some pullets take a while for their bodies to figure out the whole egg laying thing and others hit the ground running.

chuckachucka likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: