Not sure what she is?

ziasun2008

Hatching
Oct 9, 2015
I have a 5 month old littlebgirlthat was supposed to be an SLW, but she doesn't really fit the bill. She has some white lacing but a lot of beige as well. She also much smaller than an SLW should be. She has a crooked spine ( possible Wry Tail?). Not sure if that would contribute to her being on the small side.She is laying and seems to be in good health. She looks like a mixed breed. We ordered her, a leghorn and another SLW that turned out to be a roo ( was supposed to be sexed) through a local feed store, will not buy from them again! Any thoughts?

She definitely has some Silver Laced Wyandotte in her, but there is something else in there as well. She's got penciling instead of lacing through her back feathers, that could have come from a lot of different things. I'm guessing she's the result of the hatchery adding in some Brown Leghorn to boost production.

She definitely has some Silver Laced Wyandotte in her, but there is something else in there as well. She's got penciling instead of lacing through her back feathers, that could have come from a lot of different things. I'm guessing she's the result of the hatchery adding in some Brown Leghorn to boost production.

X2 on junebuggena's post.

Is this common when you order a specific breed from a hatchery? Seems a little shady to send a mixed breed when SLW was specifically ordered and paid for. My roo is definitly SLW

It's not exactly typical, but it does happen. Most hatchery birds have had some sort of production type breed crossed in to increase the laying rates. It does tend to be more obvious in the Wyandottes, because they are supposed to have that rose comb, which is a dominant comb type and sometimes single combed birds pop up.
Hatcheries aren't exactly known for producing birds that meet breed standard.

It's not exactly typical, but it does happen. Most hatchery birds have had some sort of production type breed crossed in to increase the laying rates. It does tend to be more obvious in the Wyandottes, because they are supposed to have that rose comb, which is a dominant comb type and sometimes single combed birds pop up.

I agree and your rooster doesn't look pure either.

Ok, thank you for your input. I think my rooster is beautiful, although unexpected, pure or not.

X2 on junebuggena's post.

Back
Top Bottom