Not sure what to do own dogs killed our chickens!!!

I agree with the posters who suggest a digging barrier, electric fence and other barrier options. I wouldn't put down a dog for killing a chicken, they didn't ask you to get chickens and tempt them, they don't know any better.

I agree that Ceasar Millan does have some great techniques, I've seen him stop dogs from killing bunnies.

B. Saffles Farms :

If it was me I would rehome them or put them down. I wont have a dog that bothers or kills my other animals and birds. Ive got an Aussie and hes great with all our animals. I just rehomed a dog a few weeks ago for barking at my pheasants. I did give him a chance, I whipped and scolded him for it, and as soon as I was out of site he was doing it again. No matter how secure your dog lot is and your chicken coops and run is they can still get out of the lot and into you coop and run.

I don't agree with that, Im sorry you shouldn't physicaly harm a dog because of a natural instinct, and putting them down is too much. The best way would be electric fence, rehome or just keep the dogs indoors. Our dogs get along with the chickens because they were raised from puppies around chickens and ducks.​

You cannot allow the dogs with the chickens, period. My dogs were never allowed access to my birds. One had a strong prey drive, always did, up till he died at 12 years old. The other one is terrified of the birds, but I still keep her away from them.

I have dogs that will and have killed chickens........once they do it I don't care what any trainer would say, they Cannot be taught otherwise. And if a trainer tells you they can stop them , they're just taking your money....As upset I was with my dogs when they've done it, I know it's in Some dogs nature. I now have a netting over my entire enclosure so my chickens can't fly out and only let them free range later in the day when I know I can get them to go inside at dusk. It works out fine and it sure beats getting rid of my dogs.........Don't think you have to place your dogs, you Can't ever trust them, but you can make arrangements so it works....Good Luck

Just my opinion on what I would do. Train the dogs, not saying that they aren't trained, but train them around the birds. If you're family is truly in pain over this, I would rehome them to a family without birds. Give them a chance though. Everyone had their own priorities. I would try making each pen, the dogs and the chickens, stronger. Take a vote on what each family memebr would do. This is a family decision, and a tough one. My greatest fear with getting my chicken guard dog is trying to trust her too soon. I wouldn't blame it on her, but still.

We hear about this daily on the forum, but it never ceases to amaze me that people are surprised when it happens. Dogs are predators, chickens are prey. If you don't keep your birds in a secure enclosure, something is bound to get them whether it's your own dog, a neighbourhood stray or a wild animal. Provide a secure coop and the problem is solved.

With digging dogs, a hotwire is your friend. More important though is exercise. Huskies don't like to run, they need to run. A tired dog is a good dog, they're just making their own entertainment.

Quote:
I agree with this part of what Cara said. We all hope our dogs will love our chickens. Dogs formed from wild animals. I'm going to get murdered for saying this, and if anyone is offended, I'll remove it. With the pit bull attacks, they have to be trained and watched. You can't expect dogs to love things and there is always a chance. It's no ones direct fault, but it sucks for the prey, and the people who are forced to make a decision

My close friend had the same dogs raised them since pups. they would get out and after several calls from her neighbors were the dogs broke into there barn killing several of there chickens. the next time they actually killed 4 barn cats and 8 chickens. They were then forced by the city to put them down. They tried for almost a yr to correct the behavior unfortunatly they had gotten a taste for live kill. The city forced them to deal with this. I cant imagine how hard this would be you could try to relocate the dogs with another place who do not have other animals. I hope it all works out, hugs
starry

We have 4 dogs, ages 12 yrs, 10 yrs, 5 yrs and 4 yrs. We've had chickens for 3 years. Six months after getting our chickens, the 12 yr old dog killed a pullet. My husband slapped the dog with the chicken and then tied her to his collar for the rest of the day. Now 3 yrs later our dogs and chickens lay in the sun together, eat table scraps together and the dogs even let the chickens peck flies off of them ! We got 2 kittens last August...at the time we had 3 Hens running around with one week old babies, the first time the kittens saw the chicks they ran towards them...Mamma hen scared the ever loving daylights out of the kittens and that was the end of the curiosity. Our cats lay in the yard with the dogs and chickens and it's wonderful :) Our dogs are hunting dogs and I did worry that we may not have any luck teaching them to accept the chickens and cats but they're doing fine. I can even tell my 4 yr old to "love the kitty" and he'll rub his face against the cat's face and make her purr like crazy LOL

Michelle

unfortunately it's fun for dogs to kill chickens, a friend of mine got a jack russell and it immediately tried to kill the chickens, i don't believe in using these for regular training of dogs but to break a very bad habit, chasing cars and killing things, but a shock collar broke him and you know how hard headed jack russells are, it might help, i've lost many chickens to my own dogs, believe me i wasn't happy but i make sure they are separated completely, my chickens free range my dogs don't

Back
Top Bottom