not sure what to do.

worldrob

In the Brooder
6 Years
Nov 21, 2013
Black Creek,BC, canada
Hi, last night two of my Barred Roicks spent a night out in the cold. They are still getting used to the auto chicken door, and I didn't see them when I checked. Anyway, this evening when checking everyone was in for the night we noticed one of the Barred Rocks again out in the yard. When picking her up we noticed she was quite wet, puffed up and having a hard time keeping her eyes open. It has been quite cold and wet here the last few days, but the others appear normal. I brought her into the house. Her breathing seems laboured, visibly moving up and down on breaths.She has a bald spot about 2 inches diameter on lower stomach. My hope is she just got cold and wet, but???
Any thought suggestions would be appreciated. She is only about 6 months old.
Thanks,
Rob

maybe something got a hold on her and she is in shock? thats what it sounds like to me. just keep her calm and warm and see how it plays out for now

Yes, try to keep her warm and dry, and maybe wrap her loosely in a towel that has just been warmed in the dryer. Try and get her to drink something, I would put a bit of sugar and ACV in her water, to apetize her and give her energy.

Good luck to you.

Unfortunately, she died in the night. I sure hope the others are going to be okay. I've lost birds to predators before but never had this happen. I wonder if we scared something off when we checked the pen last night and found her.
Barn Chicky - What is ACV?
I'd like to learn all that I can for next time.
1f622.png

Rob

I am sorry about your loss! :(

ACV- Apple Cider Vinegar- It prods them to drink, since they like the taste. I use it at shows to get them to drink unfamiliar waters, and it's a good wormer, and puts digestion in order.

I am sorry about your loss! :(

ACV- Apple Cider Vinegar- It prods them to drink, since they like the taste. I use it at shows to get them to drink unfamiliar waters, and it's a good wormer, and puts digestion in order.
ACV does not prod a bird to drink. They drink because they are thirsty with or without ACV. Chickens will drink unfamiliar water anyway, even from a mudpuddle with poop in it. ACV is not a wormer. I've used ACV like everyone else and still have to worm birds. ACV helps in lowering gut PH for bacterial issues and helps with calcium absorption.

Last edited:
ACV does not prod a bird to drink. They drink because they are thirsty with or without ACV. Chickens will drink unfamiliar water anyway, even from a mudpuddle with poop in it. ACV is not a wormer. I've used ACV like everyone else and still have to worm birds. ACV helps in lowering gut PH for bacterial issues and helps with calcium absorption.

um, yah it does. maybe not prod for lack of a better word, but most birds seem to like it, and in turn intices them to drink more. and yes, it does cut back on intestinal parisites, maybe not "worm" them, but it wirks, and i've learned that trick from a big time poultry farmer.

thank you very much.

X2. ACV will not prevent worms,if this were true,then no animals would ever have to be wormed. I do not use ACV and my birds drink a lot of water,have tried ACV,never noticed a difference in drinking habits,i do however use fermented feed,so no ACV for my birds.

Back
Top Bottom