Not sure what to make of this color/pattern. Ideas ?

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by big medicine, Oct 5, 2011.

1. big medicine

big medicine custom Brahmas

Mar 6, 2009
    Ohio
    This cockerel came out of my blue laced red Brahma pen. This is a new one on me. My first thought is possibly some variation of birchen maybe. He has red laced blue feathering extending from his neck onto his back/shoulders. A mostly solid red chest with just a few blue spangles. Henk, or any of you guys, care to hazard a quess what we may be dealing with here ?

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. Illia

Illia Crazy for Colors

Oct 19, 2009
    Forks, WA
    Looks like Partridge, Columbian, (of course mahogany and blue) and incomplete pattern gene to me. A little less lacing, little more melanizer and you might have a blue/red version of the color Lakenvelders carry.

But him, he's basically on the fence of a Blue based Red Columbian and a Blue Laced Red, really.

How's his secondary feathers? Partially blue, or solid red?

3. nicalandia

nicalandia Overrun With Chickens

Jul 16, 2009
    Quote:If Henk was here, I am sure he would say he resembles a poor Lakenvelder in the way Pheomelanin(red pigment) and Melanin(black pigment, in this case blue)

check below pic. what you see is a columbian restricted bird with extramelanizers like Melanotic and charcoil..
    [​IMG]

I say he looks like a Melanized columbian restricted bird but Heterozygous for those genes and that's why he does not look as nice...

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by