Not sure what's gone wrong... A few questions...

Oh okay. Why then do I have some with air pockets on the pointy end? For some reason I thought pointy end is where it was supposed to be. SHould I put the point-end-air-pocket eggs upright?
Are you candling from the top of your egg? Candle from the top (round end) down into the egg and you should see that all your eggs have the air cell in the "top". If you candle from the bottom up it can be confusing as sometimes it will look as though the "empty space" at teh bottome is the air cell.

I've never had air pockets on the pointy end, so I can't advise you on what to do. You're sure it's not just the albumen that you see, rather than the air cell?

Are you candling from the top of your egg? Candle from the top (round end) down into the egg and you should see that all your eggs have the air cell in the "top". If you candle from the bottom up it can be confusing as sometimes it will look as though the "empty space" at teh bottome is the air cell.
Oh, I was starting at the pointy end with candling, like I said for some reason I had it in my head that the air was supposed to be down there. The one's I couldn't see any empty space on that end I flipped over and inspected the round end. I'm probably just stuck behind a learning curve here. I'd re-candle with this in mind, but I'm on lockdown now. You're probably right. I'm probably totally confuse :p Thanks for all the input!

You can practice candling your cooking eggs. They don't have to be fertile or incubated to show the air cell or yolk shadow.
Good point! I just kind of jumped into this on a whim. Started getting 10 eggs a day and realized I could be turning some of these into baby chicks! So I ran out, got an incubator, calibrated it, and spent the day reading what I could. Obviously I didn't retain it all, but hey, I'll know next time! It has been super cool anyways to see the chicks and the movement in the eggs!

Oh, I was starting at the pointy end with candling, like I said for some reason I had it in my head that the air was supposed to be down there. The one's I couldn't see any empty space on that end I flipped over and inspected the round end. I'm probably just stuck behind a learning curve here. I'd re-candle with this in mind, but I'm on lockdown now. You're probably right. I'm probably totally confuse :p Thanks for all the input!
You wouldn't be the first to candle the bottom and think that you were seeing the air cell. Everything in hatching, almost, is a learning curve. Good luck with the hatch. Hope to hear that you have some hatchers soon!!!
big_smile.png

wee.gif
ya.gif
yippiechickie.gif
D.gif

AAHHH! I hear peeping and one of the eggs is rocking! I can't contain myself! I know anything could go wrong still, but AAHHH! I hear peeping and one of the eggs is rocking!

Sooooooo not gettin any sleep tonight...

6 eggs have little tiny holes in the shells. Maybe more I can't see some of them properly. Lots of little chirps in there :D

Questions on terminology: What's the difference in pipping, zipping, etc?

Pipping is the tiny hole to the outside world that you see. Zipping is a series of pips around the circumference of the egg, which allows the chick to pop the shell apart.

Both natural stages are important for proper development, such as yolk absorption, air sac development, blood vessel closing, etc.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom