Not Sure What's Wrong...

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Mommy2FIve, May 16, 2017.

1. Mommy2FIve

Mommy2FIve New Egg

May 16, 2017
    Hi all!
    I have a Isa Brown hen, who is a little over a year old. Starting yesterday, she has been sitting mostly, when she gets up she acts like she cannot support her body weight. I thought she was egg bound but today we got six eggs (we have 6 hens so that seems right). Her comb is bright, she is drinking and eating, her tail feathers aren't drooping, some of her side wings are droopy... just not walking around and acts so tired. We've been giving them Oyster Shells periodically, and today we added some ACV to their water.

We've had the chickens for over a year now and never had this happen before. All of the other birds are acting fine.

Any ideas??

2. ronott1

ronott1 Daily Digest Guru Premium Member

Mar 31, 2011
    Woodland, California
    Check her vent for mites or other irritation. Often one hen will show symptoms when others do not.

It could be from worms and sometimes from cocci. Adults can still get cocci but they will not usually die from it

casportpony likes this.
  3. Mommy2FIve

Mommy2FIve New Egg

May 16, 2017
    Thank you. her vent looked perfect when I checked it last night, nice and pink, no discharge. How do you deal with worms or cocci??

4. ronott1

ronott1 Daily Digest Guru Premium Member

Mar 31, 2011
    Woodland, California
    Do you see blood on any of the eggs?

valbazen for worms and corid for cocci. Look for guides from @casportpony

She is acting like something is hurting her. If it is not egg related or parasites, it could be an injury. Check for something wrong with her legs or thighs.

5. casportpony

casportpony Team Tube Feeding Captain & Poop Inspector General Premium Member

Jun 24, 2012
    My Coop
    Can you post pictures and video of her? And pictures of her poop?

6. Mommy2FIve

Mommy2FIve New Egg

May 16, 2017
    Yeah, we have no blood in/on the eggs...will look up some info for the worms, etc. Thanks!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by