Not sure where to post this.

newchickmom

Crowing
14 Years
Nov 8, 2007
Lafayette, Indiana
I was wondering if anyone had ever seen a totally, coal black squirrel before?
I saw one down the road from us, Monday evening. I was totally amazed! I am taking my camera the next time I go that direction!

Nature can produce lots of things we don't expect.

Will be looking forward to your picture of the squirrel.... might be a weasel?

Yes, I've seen an all black one and an all white one. I don't know if the white one would be considered an albino or not, it didn't have the red eye color.

With the all black one, my stupid cousin spotted it in a tree across the road, grabbed a gun, then ran out and shot it.
somad.gif
He eventually had it stuffed and mounted.

Black squirrels are very common around here. They used to be just on the Iowa side of the river, but I guess enough have come across on the man made bridges to populate the Nebraska side too. They are very cute.

I have not seen any here but in Michigan they have tons of grey squirrels and I have seen some that were darker, They were really cute with little tufted ears!!

We have black squirrels all over our neighborhood- they're just melanistic gray squirrels. When I lived in No. VA the National Zoo was rather famous for its population of black squirrels. Here in SW VA we also have fox squirrels with various white markings such as blazes on their faces. Some are mostly white. I stopped one day because I thought a Jack Russell had been hit by the side of the road but found out it was a huge white and red fox squirrel! We enjoy seeing them and it makes us feel a little special because they're out of the ordinary.

Only once, when I lived in a different area. It was beautiful! I wish we had them here. We have a lot of the normally colored fox and gray squirrels here. I think those squirrels with the tufted ears are cute, too.

I love squirrels, even if they're naughty sometimes.
big_smile.png

DON'T SEE A LOT OF BLACK SQUIRRESL, BUT I HAVE SEEN A FEW UP HERE IN OUR NECK OF THE WOODS...THE THEORY I"VE BEEN TOLD IS THE GRAY AND RED SQUIRRELS ATTACK THEIR MANHOOD AND KILL THEM WHICH IS PROBABLY WHY YOU DON"T SEE A LOT OF THEM.

Back
Top Bottom