Not sure where to post this.

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by newchickmom, Mar 18, 2009.

1. newchickmom

newchickmom Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 8, 2007
    Lafayette, Indiana
    I was wondering if anyone had ever seen a totally, coal black squirrel before?
    I saw one down the road from us, Monday evening. I was totally amazed! I am taking my camera the next time I go that direction!

2. Mahonri

Mahonri Urban Desert Chicken Enthusiast Premium Member

May 14, 2008
    North Phoenix
    My Coop
    Nature can produce lots of things we don't expect.

Will be looking forward to your picture of the squirrel.... might be a weasel?

3. Lil_Chickadee

Lil_Chickadee Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 11, 2009
    WV
    Yes, I've seen one all black and I've seen one all white. Very pretty, I think they were fox squirrels.

4. Shanay235

Shanay235 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 14, 2008
    WV
    Yes, I've seen an all black one and an all white one. I don't know if the white one would be considered an albino or not, it didn't have the red eye color.

With the all black one, my stupid cousin spotted it in a tree across the road, grabbed a gun, then ran out and shot it. [​IMG] He eventually had it stuffed and mounted.

5. horsejody

horsejody Squeaky Wheel

Feb 11, 2008
    Waterloo, Nebraska
    Black squirrels are very common around here. They used to be just on the Iowa side of the river, but I guess enough have come across on the man made bridges to populate the Nebraska side too. They are very cute.

6. Schultz

Schultz CluckN'Crow Farm

Aug 5, 2008
    Indianapolis
    I have not seen any here but in Michigan they have tons of grey squirrels and I have seen some that were darker, They were really cute with little tufted ears!!

7. GaDawg

GaDawg Chillin' With My Peeps

May 16, 2008
    North GA
    I have seen one in my back yard before. Saw him a few times but haven't in a long time.

8. lleighmay

lleighmay Chillin' With My Peeps

May 21, 2008
    Woodlawn, VA
    We have black squirrels all over our neighborhood- they're just melanistic gray squirrels. When I lived in No. VA the National Zoo was rather famous for its population of black squirrels. Here in SW VA we also have fox squirrels with various white markings such as blazes on their faces. Some are mostly white. I stopped one day because I thought a Jack Russell had been hit by the side of the road but found out it was a huge white and red fox squirrel! We enjoy seeing them and it makes us feel a little special because they're out of the ordinary.

9. WoodlandWoman

WoodlandWoman Overrun With Chickens

May 8, 2007
    Wisconsin
    Only once, when I lived in a different area. It was beautiful! I wish we had them here. We have a lot of the normally colored fox and gray squirrels here. I think those squirrels with the tufted ears are cute, too.

I love squirrels, even if they're naughty sometimes. [​IMG]

10. gordy123

gordy123 Out Of The Brooder

Jan 28, 2009
    falls village, ct
    DON'T SEE A LOT OF BLACK SQUIRRESL, BUT I HAVE SEEN A FEW UP HERE IN OUR NECK OF THE WOODS...THE THEORY I"VE BEEN TOLD IS THE GRAY AND RED SQUIRRELS ATTACK THEIR MANHOOD AND KILL THEM WHICH IS PROBABLY WHY YOU DON"T SEE A LOT OF THEM.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by