Not sure where to post....we lost a chick this afternoon

4boysmom

Songster
12 Years
Jun 12, 2007
When I got to school to pick up the boys & check on the chicks, the teacher told me one (a beautiful black showgirl ) wasn't doing well, that the others had been walking all over it, so she had moved it. I hadn't seen this one since it hatched, but one look told me it was spraddle legged. We bandaided it's legs and I brought it home.

It must not have been getting food & water because it was very weak. I used a dropper and gave it some water, then put it down in the brooder. It couldn't move without falling over backwards ( bandaids or not ). We left it for a while to rest. DS #1 was frantic over it and wanted me to do something for it, but I had done all I knew to do. It didn't last long - it died just after 5:30. DS#1 was heartbroken. They took it and put it in a little shoebox & buried it.

This is the 1st chick we've lost so it was hard on the boys. My other 2 that are old enough to realize what happened took it much better. My oldest is just a softie ( almost 9 ). I love his tenderheartedness.

Back
Top Bottom