Not sure..

BantammChick

🤠
Premium Feather Member
6 Years
May 8, 2017
Missouri
I have a chicken named spot. She is probably 3-4 years old. She is an austra white hen. Last night she roosted in a nest box which is on the floor. Today she has spent all day behind a box in the coop. With just her tail sticking out. She seems okay.. Will she be okay? Should I pull her out?? Maybe she got stuck?
SAM_2806.JPG

update:
Checked on Spot. It looked like she was trying to get on the roost, but couldn't. She has some poop on her feathers.

She spent last night in the nesting box again, roosting on the side, so she is not broody,besides she is not acting broody..and today she went back into her hole..

You should block off this area so that she cannot go into it and get stuck. Make sure that she can stand and walk. She may be ill, so I would place her in a dog crate with food and water to observe her closely. Make sure that she is eating and drinking. Try giving some vitamins and electrolytes (such as Poultry NutriDrench) and offer some bits of egg. Do a thorough check of her including her vent, look for lice or mites around and under the vent. Feel of her crop for pressence of food, and in morning to make sure it is emptying. Feel inside her vent up to 2 inches with a finger to check for a stuck egg.

She could be sick and trying to hide. Chickens over 2 can sometimes have reproductive problems, such as internal laying. Symptoms can include separating themselves, a messy vent area, loss of appetite, weight loss, an enlarged lower belly, and sometimes waddling or difficulty walking.

Back
Top Bottom