not sure

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by lvesdg1, Aug 11, 2010.

1. lvesdg1

lvesdg1 In the Brooder

Nov 19, 2009
    St Petersburg
    hello ,,i might be in the wrong place not sure........well here goes i was wondering if chickens like to swim or wade in water at all? i was thinkin about getting a very small kids pool for the yard for then if they like water.

2. midget_farms

midget_farms Songster

Apr 15, 2008
    Dunlap Illinois
    Don't do it. Chickens are completely clueless to water & will literally drown themselves.

They are no where near as smart as ducks & they just plain drown.

3. Crack N' Egg

Crack N' Egg Songster

Jul 29, 2009
    Flemington, NJ
    Hi lvesdg1 and welcome to the BYC![​IMG]

This summer I broke down and did get them a little wading pool. It has been so dang hot that I was (am) trying to do my best to keep them cool. I change it everyday though because as they stand in it they also poop in it. And then they drink it as well.[​IMG]

I'd say get one. But remember not to fill it to high...they do not swim

4. dawg53

dawg53 Humble Premium Member 9 Years

Nov 27, 2008
    Jacksonville, Florida
    We've had abnormal temps above 95 all summer and I thought about getting a small pool. Crack N' Egg is correct, they'll poop in it then drink the water and that'll present a new set of health problems...therefore I decided it wasnt worth it. It's cheaper to buy them a watermelon rather than meds for diseased chickens.

5. Sir Birdaholic

Sir Birdaholic Night Knight

If the water is too deep, the feathers will get waterlogged & weigh them down. Don't give them over 3" of water to stand in.

6. Crack N' Egg

Crack N' Egg Songster

Jul 29, 2009
    Flemington, NJ
    Frozen watermelon and frozen grapes are always a tasty treat...[​IMG] and an alternative to a pool.

I actually took mine out because I was worried about the whole poop/drink thing.[​IMG]

I do still have a misting fan on them when it is super duper hot!

Last edited: Aug 12, 2010

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: