Not that I would ever do this, but...

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by joebryant, Nov 2, 2008.

1. joebryant

joebryant Overrun With Chickens

Not that I would ever do this, but having the criminal mind that I have makes me wonder if anyone has ever known anyone who did. Wouldn't it be easy to buy the cheapest eggs in the grocery store for less than $1 a dozen and sell them to the ignorant for $3 a dozen as coming from "free range" chickens. It's no worse than the phony advertising that the large commercial egg producers pull off daily. One could give his/her friends and neighbors a special discount price of $2 a dozen. This could be done even if you only had six hens as a business front, especially if you are out of a job, or you need money for chicken feed. The best way to run the business would be...

Last edited: Nov 2, 2008
  2. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

But, see, that would then make people think that free-range is no better than grocery store eggs, all fragile with watery whites, etc.

3. CarriBrown

CarriBrown Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Quote:Yes... then they would just figure that they'd rather spend $1 at the grocery store!

4. ibpboo

ibpboo Where Chickens Ride Horses

Jul 9, 2007
    always changing
    YIKESaroo!
    Do you get the ad about prop 2 that shows the animals all penned up in fly ridden conditions, says vote yes and then shows 5 chickens out in a green grass pasture with a nice barn in background. Ya, like voting yes on that is really going to get the chickens living like that!

5. debilorrah

debilorrah The Great Guru of Yap Premium Member

Dude. That is just wrong.

6. JennsPeeps

JennsPeeps Rhymes with 'henn'

Jun 14, 2008
    South Puget Sound
    You can get store eggs for $1/doz? I just paid nearly $4 for 18 eggs.

My new theory, btw, is that in buying large quantities of eggs I'm stoking Murphy's Law and will get my chooks to lay, thus making my proverbial cup run over...

Or not.

7. joebryant

Quote:I don't think the public is that savvy. Consider the millions who buy Eggland's Best.

8. joebryant

Quote:Oh? Really? Hmmmmmm...

9. Gazinga

Gazinga Chook Norris

joebryant.......i think you might be on to something here.........hmmmmmm, lets see, how would we do this..........we should meet over coffe and get this thing moving......[​IMG] [​IMG]

10. joebryant

Quote:Sounds good to me, PARTNER! Let the moralists above struggle through this economic downturn; we'll be living high on the hog.
    You do understant that sinse it's my idea, it's a 75/25 partnership, i.e., you buy the eggs, sell them, and send me 75% of the gross. Let's keep it honest.

Last edited: Nov 2, 2008

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by