Not that we would do this but as a last resort....

Quote:
My grandpa had a shot gun loaded with rock salt for stray dogs, one shot and we never saw those dogs again. One guy who was visiting family in the area let his dog roam the dog showed up at my grandpa's farm the dog started to growl at us kids, grandpa said duck we ducked he shot dog ran off. Then the owner shows up asked grandpa if he shot his dog grandpa say yes I did, the man was very upset guess this dog was a hunting dog and grandpa had ruined his great hunting dog, all grandpa said was should have kept that dog in your yard no on my farm. End of story. this might be an idea for you it won't kill the dog but it will sting and hopefully keep them off your property. My other thought is if the dogs disappear who is to say the owners just won't get more dogs. I think the law needs to really do something.

lol now you have me thinking how to load a shot gun that way. I'd guess empty the shell and put rock salt in it's place. Google, here I come! hehe

Edit: Yes, you dump out the pellets and fill it with rock salt. I read where some had tested it by shooting at cardboard at various ranges and at 4 feet it could be lethal. At 12 feet it did dent the cardboard pretty well. At 10 yards, it put a small dimple in the cardboard. Any farther distance, and the cardboard wasn't' even dented at all by the rock salt. Also, there was no recoil due to the lack of mass of the rock salt. So there you are. More info than you even cared to know about the subject
tongue.png

Last edited:
How did you grandpa manage a shotgun loaded with rock salt? Did he make his own shells and put salt in instead of shot? I didn't even know you could do that, we always just bought boxes of shells.

Quote:
My grandpa had a shot gun loaded with rock salt for stray dogs, one shot and we never saw those dogs again. One guy who was visiting family in the area let his dog roam the dog showed up at my grandpa's farm the dog started to growl at us kids, grandpa said duck we ducked he shot dog ran off. Then the owner shows up asked grandpa if he shot his dog grandpa say yes I did, the man was very upset guess this dog was a hunting dog and grandpa had ruined his great hunting dog, all grandpa said was should have kept that dog in your yard no on my farm. End of story. this might be an idea for you it won't kill the dog but it will sting and hopefully keep them off your property. My other thought is if the dogs disappear who is to say the owners just won't get more dogs. I think the law needs to really do something.

lol now you have me thinking how to load a shot gun that way. I'd guess empty the shell and put rock salt in it's place. Google, here I come! hehe

He reused the shells and loaded them with rock salt he used one color for rock salt one color for his shot gun pellets. I loved that man he knew how to take care of things. I still miss him he said very few words but they meant a lot, and he did what it took to take care and protect his family.

I'm a softy so I'd start with the paintball gun. Plus living in town I don't have a real gun, I'm sure we will once we move out of town, someday, husband is an NRA member so we aren't anti gun or anything. But I'd likely try trapping and dropping them off at the humane society, here you have to pay $50 if your dog is caught running loose to get them back. That would get old and $$ over time. I like the idea of the video too, it's always good to have proof when you can. Not just proof they are endangering your kids but proof they are on your property, make sure you can tell it's your property from the angle of the picture. Then I'd move onto the rock salt.

The person whose dogs are getting turned in for being somewhere they aren't at a certain time...I'd just take a digital picture every night of my dogs inside. Then I'd send the picture to my husband's phone (another time stamp) and go to bed. That would be pretty good proof in case it ever went to court. Chances are it was just the yahoo's with the ATV turning you in though. Jerks.

You definitely have the right to shoot their dogs when they are attacking your livestock. Poor dogs that got stuck with those stupid owners.
sad.png

Schellie: He reused the shells and loaded them with rock salt he used one color for rock salt one color for his shot gun pellets. I loved that man he knew how to take care of things. I still miss him he said very few words but they meant a lot, and he did what it took to take care and protect his family.
Your grandpa sounds like a special guy.
smile.png
It is a wonderful thing to leave that kind of legacy.

Last edited:
My own philosophy is the SSS one. However, my neighbors are not very close. Have you considered capturing the dogs (sounds like some treats and your kids might work) and taking them to a local humane center? Here in KY, you MUST have a dog license (even in the country). So, every dog turned in to them has to have Tags, and you must pay a fine to get the dog out of jail. After a few hefty fines and fees, maybe your neighbors will get the hint. If they do bail out the dogs and this problem continues, I would suggest taking the dogs to a humane center further away, maybe two towns over. The cost here is over $100 so I think that would encourage them to keep those dogs home or rehome them. Of course, the best advice ever was: Good fences make for Good Neighbors. But, fence is expensive.
old.gif

We have a law here where your dog can be convicted of being a vicious animal. All someone has to do is say they felt threatened and they slap you with a ticket which requires you to go to court. If convicted they will have to follow strict guidelines as to the animals. They have to post signs all over their property warning people, keep them muzzled at all times when not inside, build an outdoor containment system with walls buried and a roof. If they don't adhere to these guidelines then the animal control will take their animals away. If you do have such a law that might be the way to go.

You also might ask how I know this. Because I went through it all with my dog. He is a lab and he got out one day while I was gone. Animal control showed up came on my property and cornered him and he barked at them. He did not growl or charge or anything else he just barked and they slapped me with a vicious dog ticket!!! A vicious lab????? Needless to say I had to hire a lawyer and he got a deferred sentence!!! No way I was going to have to muzzle my dog to go outside and follow all their other regulations because he barked. He has never gotten out since but a cattle wire will do that!!!! Could you string a hot wire all around your property where the dogs would have to hit it to come on your side????

As a mother I would NOT tolerate an animal threatening my child.. I would use any means to keep them safe!

If the dogs aggressive & you can't bring yourself to shoot it, forget animal control and call your local police department the next time its in your yard and let them know its coming after your kids. Either they will show up and the dog charges them they will take care of it, or they will notify the owners and maybe police presence will take care of it!

Shooting it with a paintball or BB gun can come back on you if they can prove you shot it as animal cruelty! Years ago in my state at the clinic I worked at we had a dog brought in shot up by red paintballs by some neighborhood kids in the owners area and they were charged with animal cruelty!

Also most local animal controls will give you a dog trap to capture and animal on YOUR PROPERTY. Then call them and they will come get trap and dog once its caught!!

Last edited:
It's all well and good to shoot the dogs (who while totally annoying and potentially dangerous at least aren't vicious, in which case I'd shoot them for sure) but what happens when the owners just get new dogs and the cycle continues?? Problem NOT solved...You gotta break the cycle..

I would document the incidences on camera, as often as they happen in like a week span. I would write everything down as well. I would call animal control and inform them that since they are not doing their job you are forced to take legal action (not against them specifically but amazingly people's ears perk up at the words legal action)...I would then catch the dogs (if possible) next time they are in the yard and march them back to the owners. If they aren't there, tie the dogs up at your house and wait until the owners are there.

I would very politely (all smiles, it will drive them nuts) inform the owners when you return the dogs that you will be taking legal action against them if any of your animals are killed or children injured by being bumped or whatever. I would tell them you have documented repeated incidences of their dog's running around your property and you are looking into a lawsuit for damages to property/livestock and possibly if your kids get hurt... I would also tell them that if their dog's continue to run loose onto your property you will shoot them dead (even if you don't) and you will still pursue legal action.

I just don't see a point in shooting the poor dogs, the people will get more and then you will be faced with what, shooting dogs again!?

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom