NOT THE NORMAL PECKING

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by meadrian, Jan 25, 2014.

1. meadrian

meadrian Chillin' With My Peeps

May 22, 2009
    San Francisco, CA
    I have 4 chickens. Two are practically inseparable. One is a BCM and the other an EE. They sleep together, bathe together and generally just hang out. They get along really well as do all four of them. But the BCM likes to "groom" the EE. It's usually if she has food or sand in her beard. So the EE has no feathers under her beak. I wouldn't call it the normal pecking. I've seen her do it and it does look like grooming behavior. There are no other feathers pulled. I've tried BluKote. Looks great on my white EE. [​IMG] But it doesn't seem to stop the BCM from pecking. When I put the BluKote on the EE she just hold her neck up and lets me apply it, very much like she does when the other is pecking/grooming or whatever. No broken skin, no blood. And there's no squaking or "fighting". They all get along and I don't have a problem with any of them. Any ideas????

2. Eggcessive

Eggcessive True BYC Addict

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    In my experience with bearded breeds like faverolles, EE's, and ameraucanas, this tends to happen a lot. I think sometimes the one being groomed is more docile, and I have watched them do this even on the roost in the evening. It may go away after their next molt, but in the meantime, make sure they are getting at least 16% protein feed, and giving them a 20% flock raiser for a few weeks, o some 24% gamebird pellets might make a difference. I wouldn't use the BluKote around the face, but there are some good antipick lotions out there.

3. meadrian

meadrian Chillin' With My Peeps

May 22, 2009
    San Francisco, CA
    So good to hear someone else has experience this, too. I'll stop the BluKote. I do have some Peck No More, but it came off rather quickly. Game pellets sounds like a good idea. Don't know why I didn't think of increasing their protein. Thanks for such a quick reply, too.

4. Eggcessive

Eggcessive True BYC Addict

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    You're welcome.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by