Not treating Bumblefoot?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by berkchicks, Jul 21, 2019.

1. centrarchid

centrarchid Free Ranging

Sep 19, 2009
    Holts Summit, Missouri
    It would be nice to see what the nature of surfaces are that are not grass. I have a good number of 5 to 6 lb American Dominiques jumping down about four feet onto 1" gravel without issue. The surface is hard but not likely creating cuts. Are her birds getting essentially hardware disease of the feet by abrading on something not considered like exposed wire?

What breed is involved? Possibly one with feathered feet?

Wyorp Rock likes this.
  2. BantyChooks

BantyChooks Pullarius

Aug 1, 2015
    My Coop
    I have had a few cases of bumblefoot in my LF birds. I suspect they occured after they jumped down from the doorstep in the morning onto forest litter repeatedly. There are lots of sharp wood bits, some trees have large thorns which break off into smaller pieces. I've even gotten stabbed by one through a shoe before. Putting in steps stopped the spread. I do keep the coop clean, but when the ground around it gets muddy from heavy rains, there's little I can do. They have grassland available to range on, but they prefer the pine and deciduous forest areas.

I'll do surgical removal if there is heavy swelling that impedes walking, but otherwise, if it's not progressing, I'll simply pull the scab on the bottom off and let the bird go with no wrapping. I keep doing that every other week or so until the pus chunk is gone and there's fresh skin instead of scabs. Obviously, I don't do this in the rainy season. It works for me.

centrarchid likes this.
  3. Wyorp Rock

Wyorp Rock Enabler

Sep 20, 2015
    Southern N.C. Mountains
    Photos of the bumblefoot and roaming area may be helpful.

centrarchid likes this.
  4. SW31

SW31 Songster

Mnnnnn, I’m treating my large obese chicken at the moment for bumblefoot. The vet got three lumps out but I think we may have missed another swelling on the back toe.

We are now dunking her feet twice a day in a warm iodine type bath and then spraying the scabs with a natural antiseptic spray, she now has the sweetest smelling feet!

I then have to get two antibiotic tablets in her - that’s the most difficult part. They’re large so I grind them up in a pestle and mortar and mix the resulting powder with some cream cheese, grated cheese and seeds. Usually, I’m having to feed her the two tablets together as she won’t eat the first lot!

Overall. She’s looking a lot better, moving a lot quicker, especially when she sees its footbath time, and the swellings are looking better - even the untreated one.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: