1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Not Turning Shipped Eggs For the First Three Days....Why?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Patchesnposies, Feb 17, 2012.

1. AprilAWZ

AprilAWZ Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 28, 2007
    northeastern MN

I'm going to have to try that with the next batch of shipped eggs. I've always thought that 8-12 was the way to go, but I'm up for new ideas!

I'd like to use cartons to hatch, (I hate watching the new chicks punting the pips all over while they're getting their legs under them!), but I was always concerned that they'd have trouble climbing out of the upright egg. Is this not as big an issue as I'm making it out to be?

Last edited: Feb 18, 2012
  2. SarahIrl

SarahIrl Chillin' With My Peeps

May 4, 2010
    West Cork, Ireland
    The reason why you don't turn shipped eggs for the first three days is to let the air cell re-attach if it is floating free in the egg. You will know this buy candling before you set them. If they are free floating, you need to set them upright in an egg carton until at least day three maybe up to day five, until they are set. Give them a gentle twist each day to stop the embryo sticking to the shell, but keep them as still as you can. It improves hatch rates with free floating air celled eggs ONLY.

3. rebelcowboysnb

rebelcowboysnb Confederate Money Farm Premium Member

[​IMG]

Yep, thats it.

4. Illia

Illia Crazy for Colors

Oct 19, 2009
    Forks, WA
    Umm, 3 days? I've never heard of that.

I've always been told and always told that it is 12-24 hours. 3 days is really long. I always do 12, anything beyond that and I worry of sticking or worse, fertility dropping.

5. peepblessed

peepblessed Chillin' With My Peeps

Now this sounds like something I would do! I feel really sorry for you! [​IMG]

6. AprilAWZ

AprilAWZ Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 28, 2007
    northeastern MN
    Ok, that makes more sense re: the air sack. Although, the more I think about it, I'll probably stick to my 8-12 hours. I'd rather get them in asap than hold up the whole batch on a couple of eggs with detached air sack. The egg carton in the hatcher, though...that one I think I'm going to try this time around.

7. Patchesnposies

Patchesnposies Chickens.....are my ONE weakness!

Mar 5, 2008
    Southern New Mexico
    April, I think this reply is way late, but I believe they were saying to go ahead and put them into the incubator after 8-12 hours, but in the cartons or turner without turning (just the forementioned slight twist to keep the embryo from sticking to the shell) and then after 3-5 days go ahead and treat them as you would not shipped eggs.

8. Brickman House

Brickman House Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 24, 2009
    I think the concept is that you get the best of both worlds if you incubate shipped eggs without turning for the first three days.

You can let them set and be still for long enough that detached air cells stabilize, but they're not sitting around getting stale and losing fertility, since they are developing.

There is little to no risk that a developing embryo is going to "stick" in the first three days, so regular turning during that time period is not as critical as it is later on in the incubation.

I set but do not turn shipped eggs for the first three days, and have had several extremely successful hatches, so I plan to continue the practice.

9. Bryam

Bryam Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 19, 2008
    I let my shipped silkie eggs sit on the counter for 12 hours, then an additional 48 hours in the turner with it off. Se Will see if this plan increases hatching rates!

10. LeviS

LeviS Chillin' With My Peeps

May 22, 2012
    North Dakota
    Was there an improvement on your hatching rates? I plan on doing this with my next batch of shipped eggs since I feel I'm getting low numbers, even for shipped eggs.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by