Not urgent: Hen with poopy butt and low energy

Weeg

Enabler
Jul 1, 2020
Small town in Western Washington
My Coop
My Coop
I have a New Hampshire Red hen who has had low energy, a droopy and slightly pale comb, and poppy butt. Her back feathers are caked in poo and I recently noticed the droopy pale comb and low energy. I will admit that I noticed the messy butt about a month ago, but didn't take action due to the fact that it was super rainy and I was waiting for nicer weather to bathe and examine her. Otherwise, the messy butt symptom came first.
She also seems to straddle her legs when she walks slightly. Tomorrow I plan on giving her a warm bath and cleaning her up, but I'm wondering whats going on with her. I haven't felt her abdomen etc due to the poo build up on her feathers, but she eats and drinks well still. I can get photos of her if needed. Thanks for your help!

Last edited:
Her back feathers are caked in poo and I recently noticed the droopy pale comb and low energy. I will admit that I noticed the messy butt about a month ago, but didn't take action due to the fact that it was super rainy and I was waiting for nicer weather, and I had a lot of Spring projects I wanted to get done. Otherwise, the messy butt symptom came first.
She also seems to straddle her legs when she walks slightly. Tomorrow I plan on giving her a warm bath and cleaning her up, but I'm wondering whats going on with her. I haven't felt her abdomen etc due to the poo build up on her feathers, but she eats and drinks well still. I can get photos of her if needed. Thanks for your help!
I think you need to give us more information once you've examined her.
Photos of the bird too.
Let us know what her abdomen feels like.

Did you think you might melt if you went out in the rain?
Problems don't wait for nice weather, neither should you.
Usually by the time you can tell a bird is sick it's REALLY sick because they hide it well.

Did you think you might melt if you went out in the rain?
Problems don't wait for nice weather, neither should you.
Usually by the time you can tell a bird is sick it's REALLY sick because they hide it well.
No, I meant I didn't want to bathe her in the cold weather. I should have made that more clear. Its usually pretty rainy and chilly here all Spring, and her being sick I didn't want to bathe her. Sorry for the miss understanding, had I seen the symptoms I am seeing now I would have found a way to examine her better. The weather is finally getting warm here now so I am able to examine and clean her up.
Your absolutely right though, I probably should have checked her out sooner.

Back
Top Bottom